Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

non flat string suggestions

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by kboyd, Feb 19, 2003.

1. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    I am currently using DAddario slow wounds on both my fretted and fretless basses, I like them on the fretless, but I am looking for something fatter sounding on the fretted with less fret noise for fingerstyle. I don't really like the feel of flats tho, any other suggestions?

2. Toony

Toony

Jun 15, 2001
    Texas
    I recommend DR Sunbeams, for all it's worth. I've noticed the Hi-beams seem to have a bit more "finger to string" and fret noise than the Suns, but that's only from my experiences, yours may differ entirely. =)

3. TI jazz rounds are very smooth to the touch using small diameter wrap wire
    worth the money but low in tension
    and
    although i havent used them yet elixir are mooted as haveing a more smooth feel
    TI Flats are on my bass now and are ok...
    good sustain.:)

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I have tried every string in the market and I always come back to DR Hi Beams. As for fret noise, I don't find that to be a problem, but it is easily EQ'd out by taking a little off the top end.

5. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There are also various compression wound strings like GHS Pressurewound, Ken Smith Compressors, and Rotosound 55's. These are roundwounds that have the outer wrap compressed into an oval so that they are smoother.

6. kboyd

kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    Loranger
    Thanks for the input. I shopped for strings today and all I found was a set of sunbeams. I LOVE THEM. They were cheap and they feel and sound great. Punchy mids and thick rumbling lows. The highs are still a little edgy but much much better than before. I like the bottom just the way it is but with more muted highs for fingerstyle.
    Anyway, I broke them in for practice tonight just in time for the gig tomorrow.
    If I can find them, I was thinking of the compression or half round strings for my fretless but I ran into some very expensive Labella nylon coated strings that looked nice too. Have yet to make that decision. Thanks