1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-Fluoride Toothpaste

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by matante, Mar 19, 2013.

Non-Fluoride Toothpaste

Poll closed Mar 24, 2013.
  1. Yay

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. Nay

24 vote(s)
    75.0%
  1. matante

matante

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Just came back from Trader Joe's and noticed that I picked up some non-fluoride toothpaste by accident. What do you guys think? Yay or Nay?

2. The whole "fluoride is bad for you" people are the same people that think that vaccinations will give you autism; aka grade A morons. Fluoride has been proven time and again to prevent many different tooth and gum problems. It hasn't been proven to be bad for you. Use it, because you bought it, but don't ever buy it again.

lowsound

3. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Fluoride is good!

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Flouride is government mind control! It causes Communism!

5. JacoLesFlea

JacoLesFlea

Jun 16, 2006
    Minnesota
    I like Crest Original

6. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny SUSPENDED Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Someone show me a double blind test showing that fluoride has any health benefits.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Its anti-cavity properties are extremely well established, and even the rabid anti-flouride screeds I've seen have never challenged that. The argument against has always been about potential toxicity, or evil conspiracies, not a failure to reduce tooth decay.

8. since you wanna bring that up, why did i have to sign a waiver to get my son vaccinated because there is a 1 in 100,000 chance he'll become mentally retarded as a side effect of the MMR vaccine?

9. And people think it's great in their drinking water, disregarding that it's potent enough to kill you in it's purest form!

10. Because whoever administered you son's MMR vaccine is scared of being sued by morons. Show me the study the proves that the MMR causes mental retardation.

lowsound

11. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Every substance is toxic on large enough quantities. Even water (though i'm guessing your stomach would burst before you reach a point for it to be toxic). And stuff people think of as toxic can be almost harmless in small enough doses.

It's all about dosage. Not wanting to ingest kilo's of fluoride daily is perfectly logical. Not wanting to use fluoraded toothpaste, which is demonstrably harmless and millions upon millions people use every day is, shall we say, less logical. Unless you're allergic or something of course.

12. Bett

Bett

Jan 27, 2008
    CT
    Since a tube of toothpaste lasts me months on end, I'd be afraid to not brush with fluoridated toothpaste for that long. Does it have xylitol though? I'd keep it if it's xylitol toothpaste, to use before bed or something. Teeth are expensive to repair, good toothpaste is cheap.

13. Do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk, and... ice cream. Ice cream, my TB brethren. Children's ice cream. You know when fluoridation first began? Nineteen hundred and forty-six. 1946. How does that coincide with your post-war Commie conspiracy, huh? It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice. That's the way your hard-core Commie works.

14. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin,TX - McKinney,TX - NY,NY, - Nashville,TN
    I play it all. Whatever works for the gig
    I've been avoiding fluoride for years for health reasons. Too numerous amount of studies show the ill effects. Scientists and doctors alike. Anyone that is not up on it is dimply asleep and only listening to what the tv commercials tell them is good. Fluoride has shown in many clinical test to cause cancer Britling of bones etc. Also increased risks of breast cancer for women prostate cancer in men and numerous other health issues. I use OraMD as tooth paste. Best stuff on the planet

15. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Wow, I wish I had time to worry about toothpaste.

16. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Wow, wish I had time to drink beer in the morning.:D

17. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    The pro Fluoride protect you from cavity MYTH has been around for a long time. Just as many studies that say it is good for your teeth also have a polar opposite that say it has no effect.. Many of the tests on each side are finagled and manipulated depending on what master they serve. I prefer non ADA independent studies.. ADA says metal fillings are OK.. when they contain copper, thallium, mercury and other heavy metals that leach into you body after becoming methyl mercury from heat and friction.. Some people are affected more easily than other by those neurotoxins. Just as some people can get drunk on one beer and others can drink 2 six packs.. Same for these toxic metals transforming into poisons in your body... . I dont give a flying $^&@ what anyone says about these poisons being OK.. wonder why you have cancer at 35 or you mom has breast cancer or brain tumor.. look no further than the crap that we put in our bodies on a daily basis.. the liver can only remove so much and then it just says.. thats it, im done.. then you're done.

Fluoride has been shown in more recent independent studies to lower the IQ of its test subjects.
    Dr. Paul Connett is recognized worldwide as a leader in the research and effects RE fluoride from the municipal water supplies..

18. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Regardless of your thoughts on the topic, a single tube isn't likely to make a difference, one way or the other...

19. svtb15

svtb15

Mar 22, 2004
    Are you a full time musician? If so, then you would have plenty of free time.. :D:eek:

20. Morning Beer

Morning Beer

Oct 2, 2009
    Cleveland
    Ahh the good old days. Kids change everything.:beer: