1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-functioning EMG tone pot

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bassvi, Apr 29, 2009.

1. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I've got an older P-bass that had the original pickup swapped out for an EMG- the tone knob doesn't seem to work, it sounds like it is full up all the time so I can't roll off the highs- I opened it up and cleaned the pot, checked all the connections but everything looked like it was fine- any idea what could be amiss? Should I just replace the whole pickup? It's a nice 70's model Fender, I'd like to start using it again-

2. Active EMG's need a 25K (yep; twenty five) pot. EMG P's, and I'm assuming it's a standard USA active, not a Select or similar, sound great, in my opinion. I love 'em.

3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    If they left the stock pots, the tone wont do much. Not only do you need the 25K pot, but the tone cap has to be .1uF. Even then it doesn't work the same as with a passive pickup.

If they used the EMG supplied pots, check the wiring. If you like the tone of the pickup, there's no reason to replace it for a non working tone knob. Just fix the wiring.

4. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    Happy ending: I found a 25K pot, completely removed the pickguard and on closer inspection saw one of the tiny legs on the capacitor (resistor?) soldered to the pot indeed was not attached. I soldered it back and now have a fully functioning tone control. I can even return the 25K pot. Yay! Thanks for the input everyone. I love my P bass.