Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-FX Pedals for Tones

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 12, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a few pedals to get different non-fx tones out of my setup. I use a Mesa Bass 400 amp, an ABY pedal and a Sansamp BDDI. I use the Mesa's tone for more of a mid-rangey tubey lead sound for fingerstyle, and hit the Sansamp for a heavier, tighter, more bottom sound that fills in the background better and works for slapping. I use the AB pedal to switch channels between fingerstyle and slap or just Y for a louder super full sound. Anyone else do stuff like this? How many different clean tones do you guys use in a live situation?

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Almost sounds a bit like me except for the slapping and ABY box :)

Using (in order): 105Q wah -> Aphex Punch Factory -> Handbuilt fuzz(sounds more like an OD to me tho) -> Sadowsky preamp.

I'm pretty much using this setup in three steps (Sadowsky is always on):

1) Clean sound (i.e. when guitar is playing clean aswell) I have Aphex on to add some "punch" to my tone.

2) If the guitar is using OD/distortion I simply just hit the Aphex so only my sadowsky is on. This allows me to "pluck harder" and therefore get a more "agressive" tone if I want to. Lacking the punch from the Aphex though :(

3) If it get really heavy I hit my fuzz while Aphex is turned off. This gives me a (obviously) overdriven growl and still I can pluck as hard as I want to get the tone agressive.

I know it sounds like mission impossible, but if someone can enlighten me of a pedal that gives me the same oppurtunity like when Aphex is turned off (plucking harder = more volume), SPEAK UP! :)

Maybe a booster of some sort? :confused: