1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-FX Pedals for Tones

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Oct 12, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I use a few pedals to get different non-fx tones out of my setup. I use a Mesa Bass 400 amp, an ABY pedal and a Sansamp BDDI. I use the Mesa's tone for more of a mid-rangey tubey lead sound for fingerstyle, and hit the Sansamp for a heavier, tighter, more bottom sound that fills in the background better and works for slapping. I use the AB pedal to switch channels between fingerstyle and slap or just Y for a louder super full sound. Anyone else do stuff like this? How many different clean tones do you guys use in a live situation?

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Almost sounds a bit like me except for the slapping and ABY box :)

Using (in order): 105Q wah -> Aphex Punch Factory -> Handbuilt fuzz(sounds more like an OD to me tho) -> Sadowsky preamp.

I'm pretty much using this setup in three steps (Sadowsky is always on):

1) Clean sound (i.e. when guitar is playing clean aswell) I have Aphex on to add some "punch" to my tone.

2) If the guitar is using OD/distortion I simply just hit the Aphex so only my sadowsky is on. This allows me to "pluck harder" and therefore get a more "agressive" tone if I want to. Lacking the punch from the Aphex though :(

3) If it get really heavy I hit my fuzz while Aphex is turned off. This gives me a (obviously) overdriven growl and still I can pluck as hard as I want to get the tone agressive.

I know it sounds like mission impossible, but if someone can enlighten me of a pedal that gives me the same oppurtunity like when Aphex is turned off (plucking harder = more volume), SPEAK UP! :)

Maybe a booster of some sort? :confused: