Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-Gearheads - Stand up & be counted!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XavierG, Jul 30, 2001.

1. Okay, I've been hiding in my closet for too long now, and I thought I would come out and face the world with the revelation that....

I KNOW NADA ABOUT BASS-GEAR!

There, I feel so much better now. It just seems that everyone talks about Zon's and Roscoe's and this and that, but frankly, I couldn't tell the difference between one and the other. If they have strings and I can make them sound decent, that's all that matters to me. I prefer to concentrate on music, rather than the brand of tool used to make it. Am I alone here? I feel vindicated by the fact that Jeff Berlin seems to be as gear-ignorant as I am.

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Oops! I appear to be in the wrong thread.

:D

3. I don't know anything about gear, and I'm proud of it, dammit! :D

4. BigJH

BigJH

Jan 20, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Same here. I know Jack about gear. I just play the bass!! I am very proud of the fact that I don't know squat about gear either.

5. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    Yep, I too know little about a lot.

As a matter of fact, I only recently discovered that my bass guitar has an active pickup. I was slack-jawed in amazement when, after incurring a terrible buzz, took the access panel of the back of my ax and found a 9 volt battery!

Well, now I know. But I played this particular bass for a year before I realized this little factoid.

I know what feels good and sounds good. Other than that, I don't worry about it much.

6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Im a total gearhead in the automotive sense.
    However when it comes to Basses/Amps,Im not too bright.I know enough to get by(I think),but by no means would consider myself an expert.This is probably why I dont participate too much in the Basses,Pickups,Setup,or Amps forums.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...you don't see me posting too, too often in any of the gear threads(UNLESS I'm really bored & there's absolutely NADA goin' on in here).
    I'm a ONE-cord kinda guy(not counting the 120VAC power & speaker cables).

XMan-
    ...you've heard me mention Roscoe basses only 'cause a local store here in SE Va has been carrying them for years now(& I think Keith Roscoe works outta North Carolina). Anytime I try a piece of equipment out in the above store, I 'usually' plug in one of their Roscoe basses(definitely nice stuff).
    (And I was supposed to use my new Aguilar pre-amp yesterday; time was an issue so I hadda use the main act's bass rig...the bassist was cool enough to let me & was nice about "dumbing his rig down" for me...too many cords!). ;)

8. I hardly knew anything about basses, but TB has educated me considerably. As of now, the Fender feel is what I'm most comfortable with and I will be investigating different basses to try to find THE one. As far as amps go, I'm an ignoramus.

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I don´t know anything about gear, but I will someday know EVERYTHING!!!!! Or at least something..

10. I'm a big fan of the actual basses. The quality of the instrument can definitely affect how I feel and how I play. As for all the electronics and stuff though, I really prefer not to think about it. As long as the sound is basically like the acoustic sound I selected the bass for in the first place, and is loud and clean enough, I could care less. When I'm recording, I try to ignore everything except to encourage the producer to leave my track the hell alone.

11. MikeyD

MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I'm pretty happy with my basses (Fender fretless Jazz, Precision, Roscoe Beck V), so I find I don't have a lot to say in the Basses forum. They give me 99% of what I'd ever want in a bass. However, being an engineer and an audio/acoustics nut, I participate a lot in the Amps forum. It's just interesting to me. Even there, I consider myself only an Intermediate Gearhead - not from lack of resources, but by being moderate and not addicted to buying stuff ceaselessly.
    - Mike

12. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    XavierG, Good seeing you!

I'm a total gearhead when basses are the subject, but when amps are concerned, I'm in the same boat as the rest of you.

13. Oh, to come out and admit something so shameful, then to find that I am not alone - I could cry. :)

JimK - I am familiar with the Roscoe, and looked into one myself. I love their instruments. But I don't know the difference between one of those, and say, a Spector.

I only know the ones I have at some point become interested in, and bothered to check out. But some folks here know way too much! They need to get a life! :D

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I don't know too much either, but I guess that's part of why I frequent the threads. The amount of info in the forums is staggering. It makes me realize all the technical aspects I haven't explored yet, and makes me want to know more.

15. [timid, shame-filled voice]

Hi.. My name is Cafe.... and I'm a non gear head.

[sobbing]

I don't even know how to match a head to a cabinet!

[/sobbing]
    [/timid, shame-filled voice]

16. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Xavier,

What do you call someone who likes to HAVE nice gear because of the sound it can get, but once they have it, doesn't feel the need to talk about it much?

Whatever that category is, I'm in it.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I like to build stuff. But I am no where close to The Three Amigos levels. I just am a tinkering kinda guy. I guess I am a wannabe gear head.

The Grasshopper of the Three Amigos! :D

18. I couldnt care less about the gear as long as it sounds good. Anyway, whats the point spending thousands on gear for a small increase in the quality of the sound, only other bassplayers will appreciate it, the average listener has difficulty in noticing the bass in the first place! :(

19. Heck, I didn't even know you were supposed to!

20. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    i know about makes and models from playing stuff at BassNW, GC and other stores a lot. And i mean, a lot. But i don't consider myself a Gearhead.