Non-Gibson/Epi Thunderbirds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would love to have the thunderbird sound and shape, but I have serious misgivings about Epi and Gibson. Epi because of overall QC issues, and the huge neck dive. Gibson because of the headstock horror stories I have heard about the thunderbirds. Is there any other maker out there that does thunderbirds, or am I stuck going the Warmoth way?
    Tokai maybe, or even a luthier?
  2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    You might keep your eyes open for a late 80's Greco TB-1100
    (which is a 1964 Thunderbird IV copy complete with nickel plated hardware.)

These are great basses without the neck issues that the Gibson's suffered from. Best of all, you can buy them at a fraction of the cost of a Gibson T-Bird (if you can find one).

These were made for the Japanese market so they are very hard to find anywhere else. I imported mine from Japan.

Here's the bird,

3. Luthier and TB member Knuckle Head said that the latest gibson nikki sixx version is the best buy as of late oon a bass. i do not hink he means the epi goth version. the gibson nikki sixx is suppossed to be high quality for around 700-ish.
  4. tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is a very cool Bass, but for the price of what one like it went on ebay, I could just get a Gibson (maybe) or warmoth it. I like that one a lot though.