1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-Gibson/Epi Thunderbirds?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tekhna, Nov 13, 2004.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I would love to have the thunderbird sound and shape, but I have serious misgivings about Epi and Gibson. Epi because of overall QC issues, and the huge neck dive. Gibson because of the headstock horror stories I have heard about the thunderbirds. Is there any other maker out there that does thunderbirds, or am I stuck going the Warmoth way?
    Tokai maybe, or even a luthier?

2. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    You might keep your eyes open for a late 80's Greco TB-1100
    (which is a 1964 Thunderbird IV copy complete with nickel plated hardware.)

These are great basses without the neck issues that the Gibson's suffered from. Best of all, you can buy them at a fraction of the cost of a Gibson T-Bird (if you can find one).

These were made for the Japanese market so they are very hard to find anywhere else. I imported mine from Japan.

Here's the bird,

[​IMG]

3. Luthier and TB member Knuckle Head said that the latest gibson nikki sixx version is the best buy as of late oon a bass. i do not hink he means the epi goth version. the gibson nikki sixx is suppossed to be high quality for around 700-ish.

4. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is a very cool Bass, but for the price of what one like it went on ebay, I could just get a Gibson (maybe) or warmoth it. I like that one a lot though.