1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non-Gigging bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PennyroyalWe, Dec 7, 2018.

1. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    I recently had myself a NBD, a beautifully preserved 1970-71 Matsumoku MIJ Epiphone 5102 bass (EA-260) w/OHSC, and I just love playing on this thing. It's totally different from my fretless tele-bass and modded Bronco bass that are the only other basses I have in my arsenal at the moment. It feels and sounds great, looks even better but because of what it is I'm extremely reluctant to take it to band practice, let alone gig with it, for fear of it incurring a new ding, dent, or worse. So, while I really enjoy this bass, it has me wondering if it's a tad indulgent to have a bass that I know I'll never gig with. I should disclose that I'm by no means a pro player, or particularly wealthy, I play in a few local bands playing original tunes to the usual bar crowd and house shows. I don't record particularly often, though in both bands we are currently working on recording an EP over the winter. I guess I'm wondering if anyone else has/does keep a case queen bass that you won't gig with? epi.

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

no, not really: no "case queens." i have a fretted which gets no love. i have a heavy ax i no longer take out because of its weight (but i would if i needed it). i have four which i rotate as 'regulars', or main players. i couldn't resist taking a great playing ax to a gig. but that's me.

curious: would you take the ax to the gig if you put marks on it at home? thanks.

48thStreetCustom likes this.
  3. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Maintaining the re-sale value is pretty important to me, especially as it gets older. Plus the preserving the history of it kinda thing because I think these are relics of a really cool part of Gibson/Epiphone history (their first outsourcing/import models!). So, no I don't think dinging it up at home would do anything but bum me out haha.

4. Dub56

Dub56 Supporting Member

May 28, 2005
    D.C.
    Cool bass!

If you love playing it as much as you described... I personally vote you play the heck out of it and never look back.

Seems like you love it, make it yours and play it everywhere you want to. If it gets a ding in the process, It'll be even more "yours" ;)

If you're holding onto it for collector value or resale, that's a different story.

5. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have an EB-2 that I have had forever. It rarely gets out, not because I'm preserving it, but because I mostly play Thunderbirds these days. Call it an accidental closet queen, if you will. I have the room for it, can pay the bills without selling it, and have no other reason to let it go. It was my only bass guitar for 25 years or so. It's in far better condition than it has any right to be with a history like that, but there it is. I won't get buried with it. It's a little too nice for that. There's too much shared history to let it go too soon.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

got it...i get it! ;) thanks for responding.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  7. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    It's like an old car that you never drive on the road. Personally, I wouldn't want an old car that's in concourse condition. I think classic cars are meant to be driven even if it's just once a week to the local cruise-in.

But it's your bass and I wouldn't hold it against anyone who chooses not to gig a bass. You can take pride in knowing that it's well cared for in your hands. That's certainly respectable.

PennyroyalWe likes this.
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    Some people do, some people don't. I don't/won't own a bass that I'm not gigging, but I don't really consider them investments or worry about resale value. I just insure them in case something happens and endeavor to play the snot out of them. YMMV.

PennyroyalWe likes this.