1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

non intrusive thumbrest

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by stonewall, Mar 4, 2016.

1. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    My first thumbrest fix was an actual Fender thumbrest 2 way taped to my bass it was just to big and ugly.I wanted something non intrusive so i could mess with different playing positions 20160304_124420. .Here,s what i came up with glass table spacers use just 1 or as many as you want simple peel and stick.BTW one works fine i just bought this bass i am still messing with sweet spots.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  2. Cool idea! I've been looking for a method to add a thumb rest to a couple of mine but didn't want to have to drill holes. Thanks for posting this. Where did you get those, hardware store?

3. hondo4life

hondo4life

Feb 29, 2016
    SC
    Neato. Keeps your hand from getting lost. I might have to steal this idea.
    The B string also works well, if you have one.

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    Yup, B string is the ultimate thumbrest.

5. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    Hardware stores will have them.They are clear so they are almost invisible.Plus there so cheap..$3.95 can. :)

Attached Files:

6. RED J

RED J Lol

Jan 23, 2000
    I don't generally care for them but saw one called a zero-mod that attaches between two pick guard screws and is only 1/4" thick. I'm with you the Fender style tugbar over the strings looks like a wart and is more of a liability and obstacle than help.
    Cool idea you implemented.

7. JackANSI

JackANSI

Sep 12, 2006
    PA
    Very clever DIY there. Thanks for sharing.

GKon likes this.
  8. Chico Ruger

Chico Ruger Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2014
    Western NC
    Great idea. Thanks for passing it along.

9. ESPweasel

ESPweasel

Jan 6, 2016
    Charlotte NC
    Rawsome. I bought one for my acoustic but didn't want to put screws into the thin body. LOL, anyone want it?

spaz21387 likes this.
  10. stonewall

stonewall

Jun 14, 2010
    ontario,Canada
    the Zero-Mod thumb rest for a RIC is awesome it utilizes pick guard screw holes.They have nothing for a Dimension.

11. blowinblue

blowinblue Blue in name only. Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Sometimes you have to sacrifice a bit of visual flow for the sake of efficiency. To my eye this thumb 'rest' is non-intrusive. I respect your opinion if you disagree. Its real purpose is to prevent my thumb from getting caught under the B-string as I work on the never-ending task of mastering the floating thumb technique. It really does help. And yes, I need help. :)

ImportedPhotos00518.

M. M.

jonlimo and RED J like this.
  12. GKon

GKon Supporting Member, Boom-Chicka-Boom

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    OP, simple and brilliant!

@blowinblue what is that you used?

13. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Back story on this is as follows. I purchased this bass so as to have a fretted 5-string while my Stambaugh ODB 5 was being built. At the time my only other bass was a fretless 5-string and I desperately needed a fiver with frets. During the build I asked Chris to craft a 'thumb thingie' for this MTD Kingston because my thumb kept getting caught underneath the B-string. I sent him measurements for what I wanted and he made this out of ebony. Not surprisingly, he didn't charge me a penny for it. That's just how Mr. Stambaugh rolls.

M. M. :)

RED J and GKon like this.
  14. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Is it stuck on with double sided tape?

15. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Yes. This stuff is very thin and holds well.

tape%20double%20sided%20b.

M. M.

ivorytower and GKon like this.
  16. GKon

Feb 17, 2013
    Albuquerque, NM
    Thanks, very much.

17. blowinblue

Nov 29, 2006
    SoCal USA
    Glad to help. That's why I'm here. And on rare occasions to annoy. And on extremely rare occasions to pseudo-troll. ;)

M. M.

GKon likes this.
  18. jgroh

jgroh

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I like the OPs solution! I bought those bass buddy thumbrests for my Steinberger L2 and since it was black and so were the thumbrests, it worked well. My Ric has the trebel bezel which works great and is non-intrusive.

19. ThePresident777

ThePresident777

Oct 6, 2013
    Yep, and has the added benefit that it gets you used to having a mobile thumb. When I do need a rest for the B string, the pick gaurd or pick up is fine for me.

20. Fingerpickingood

Fingerpickingood

Oct 30, 2014
    Texas
    I'm really bad about using the bridge pup as a thumb rest. My band plays in drop B, so I don't get the luxury of the low B thumb rest. :rollno: