Non-neckdivey but original shape?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MaskedJackal, Jan 31, 2006.

1. So I've ordered all my parts for my custom fretless 4, and I've bought my wood- I await a Carvin NT4 neckthru neck, an EMG MMTW pickup, Sperzel locking tuners, and a Kahler bridge.

But in the meantime, I can't for the life of me think of a semi-original (at the least) but non-neckdiving shape. Can anyone help me out with suggestions and ideas for inspiration? The only parameters are these:

-An upperhorn is absolutely required for proper suspension (that's why Leo put on the P in the first place, right? :rolleyes: )

-The neck only has 12 inches of additional wood for the middle of the body...and after measuring I've found the P-Bass shape, for instance, is 14 inches :bawl:

Thanks in advance!
  2. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    I was just about to say that for my very first design, I traced my P-bass and modified it until it was entirely unrecognizable, but still had the same dimensions of the P-bass. I'll sketch some quick ideas, since I'm bored, and post them as soon as I can.
  3. mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    my first design was inspired by Spector basses, Gibson double cut LPs and my own imagination.

dont expect anything amazing from the first trial. you need like 5 trials to come up with some ... HOT! its all fun though. dont give up
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My design was based upon my Corvette, but after I received the neck and saw how heavy it was, I further modified it for a longer upper horn.
    There are some pics in my sig
  5. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    It's not a question of where he grips it - it's a matter of weight ratios.

I think weight distribution is the name of the game.

6. It is indeed gentlemen.

That said, the wood for the body is maple center with alder wings, and my impression is that these woods are pretty light, yes?

I just don't want to make any wild shape, but I want it to be interesting at the same time.
  7. :bawl: Awww, I won't give up, but....c'mon, keep the faith! It's a simple beast, it is....I'm also working with a local woodsmith/luthier guy who built his first electric guitar on his own- completely by hand- and came out with something great. This isn't going to be an Alembic, but I'm hoping that it'll growl nice, feel great, and balance properly at the damn least :D
  8. teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    What if you glued a piece of maple to the end? I sketched something, but with only 12" to work with, the body would only be about 12" wide and 17" long.
  9. another alternative to 2 nursery scales would be to use a pair of fish scales and suspend the bass from a shoestring through the rear strap button, and another on the upper horn button.

you can then use gaffer's tape to fix your weight near the bridge...increase the weight until the weight on the rear button is just slightly more than the weight of the front button...since the scales will not be equal swap scales for verification...

once you've done this, you can try it on for feel...

finally, once you've determined the right weight...make a suitably weighted brass "slug" or "slugs" from a bit of solid brass rod...drill a hole (or holes) under the bridge to fit the slug(s) the slug(s), pot it in (epoxy??), replace the bridge...and you're done...balanced bass...
  10. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    Neck heavy light-weight bass VS overly heavy balanced bass???
  11. no...if the bass is light, it will take very little weight to balance it...and a balanced bass will naturally "feel" lighter because it is hanging straight down and not placing any torsion on the spine.
  12. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
  13. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    This design worked for me it balances nice and weighs under 7lb.

paint it green and call it GUMBY!

Actually, I kinda like it (in a very "weird" sort of way)

My Carvin AC-40 weighs in at 6.25 lbs...and balances quite well even though the upper horn only comes to about the 14th fret...(makes for a bit of reach to the 1st fret, however...but not bad)
  15. Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    Why do basses burn?

...b....because they're....made of wood?

So, how do you tell if the bass is made of wood?

Build a bridge out of it!

Ah, but can you not also make bridges out of Brass?

Oh, yeah..

Does wood sink in water? floats! THROW IT INTO THE POND!!

...etc... :D
  16. I've got a 5lb semi-hollow that neck-dives like crazy, and a 10lb solidbody that balances. The 10lb is easier to wear and play.