1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

non pro ampeg svt-II amp vs preamp svt-IIP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by theaps, Jun 10, 2014.

1. theaps

theaps

Jun 9, 2014
    convert to bass!
    Hello, ive searched a bit and cant really fing the answer to my question(s) which are as follows. that classic ampeg sound I hear when I hear billy garr or jeff pilsons sounds I understand is from the actual ampeg svtII rack mount heads. My question is this, if I were to purchase an svt2p preamp and run it direct into my daw will I still get that sound? or do I need to use the actual head and cabinet with a mic? Question 2, the actual svt2 heads are hard to find and I may have a lead on the preamp, so how would the preamp only version sound say thru a peavey classic power amp? Im sure i

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    It'll sound quite good but it won't be a dead ringer for the sound of a full-on SVT. You don't need to get a 2 Non-Pro to get that sound, but the difference between preamp into a SS power vs a full-on SVT is quite striking.

DocGeorge and theaps like this.
  3. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    What Jimmy said +1
    I own all the pieces in question

theaps likes this.
  4. theaps

theaps

Jun 9, 2014
    convert to bass!

hey jimmy, you say I don't need a non pro to get that sound. what others will get that sound? thanks man!!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    SVT-VR, CL and 2 Pro will do it IMHO. With the CL and 2 Pro, though, you need to crank the master all the way up and use gain to control volume, and to me it sounds just like any non-master SVT. I've compared my Heritage SVT-CL to my 69 SVT, and gun to my head, I don't think I could tell the difference blindfolded.

theaps likes this.
  6. DocGeorge

DocGeorge Gold Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Indio, CA
    I would say that when you do that, it sounds really close... And Jimmy is right on stage in a mix you probably couldn't tell at all. But using the same tube types, I could hear the difference. That's one of the reasons that made trade my 2Pro in awhile back and get my 2 non Pro

theaps likes this.
  7. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I just picked up an SVT-IIp non-pro preamp, and a Carvin DCM1000 power amp that i will be pairing up to see if I can get that SVT-II sound (or close to it). We will see...Kirk (SVTB15) is gonna come over this weekend if we have time so we can bake it and check it out.

8. Specifically what you will be missing is power tube distortion. Something you can not replicate with a SS power amp imo. But if you play with a very clean sound (no grit or dirt...) then a SS power amp will do the job well. On the other hand if you want SVT grit or grind then you need the tube power amp and it needs to be pushed a bit to get the power tubes near breakup.

SVT 4Pro user here, I play mostly clean tone and the tube pre and SS power amp is great. No $350 power tube replacements and the pre-amp tubes last years in the 4 Pro. A great choice for me...

9. Timm Grimm

Timm Grimm Tune low, play slow

Aug 6, 2013
    Colorado
    How'd this turn out? Were you comparing it to an actual SVT?

10. Thorsdaddy33

Thorsdaddy33

Jun 5, 2013
    Tennessee
    Hey guys,
    Any idea if running a iip preamp into a palmer pdi-03 would get any closer?
    Thanks,
    Greg

11. jellymax

jellymax

Nov 29, 2006
    SF CA
    I had that exact rig back in the 90s.
    Sounded good. But not like an svt.
    Also my 300w non-pro is way more
    Powerful
    Jlm