1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non reverse Gibson Thunderbird headstock restoration

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by godofthunder59, May 15, 2011.

1. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I just picked up this 66-69 nonreverse Thunderbird. It has one of the worst headstock repairs I have ever seen(I have seen and done many headstock repairs on Tbirds over the years). The work is well meaning but looks like it was done by a auto body guy. The refin is super pro done I just can't believe they did such a good job on the refin and botched the headstock repair. The short version is under the hump from the nut to the first tuner was a 1/8" thick aluminum plate burried under fiberglass and bondo! No less that 5 bolts were used to hold the thing together. This should have been a simple glue/clam job with a quick touch up but it turned into this mess. Oh yeah I forgot both the face and the back of the headstock have a thin layer of fiberglass. black67thunderbird003. black67thunderbird001. black67thunderbird008. black67thunderbird010. blacknrthunderbirdheadstockrepair001. blacknrthunderbirdheadstockrepair002. blacknrthunderbirdheadstockrepair005. blacknrthunderbirdheadstockrepair008. blacknrthunderbirdheadstockrepair013.

2. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    As for the two holes in the finger board a friend is sending me a nonreverse fingerboard he salvaged so I can replace the section from the nut to the first fret.

3. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    first coat of finish Thunderbuckersblacktbird001.

4. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I agree with you, the paint job is really well done. Im surprised the headstock was so badly done. Congrats on an awesome bass by the way.

5. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    All strung up and holding :) If this look good after a month I'll consider it a success.

6. cpb1951

cpb1951

May 22, 2009
    thunder59, Hi, I am wanting to make a non reverse 'bird II and my luthier needs a pattern. Could I buy one from you since you already have one? a bridge might be nice, too! That white one in your icon is a beaut!
    Sandy