1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Non-Reverse Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bobomb, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Bobomb

Bobomb

Dec 5, 2012
    So I have the option of trading in my Jack casady silver limited edition bass which I receieved for christmas for a non-reverse thunderbird (the new one issued by Gibson, Pelham blue:hyper: )I tried the casady, even put flat wounds on, it just didnt seem right for my playing style as I like to really strike the strings when I play.

Now my question is, has anyone tried/own the new thunderbird? Does it deliver that authentic thunderbird experience? I hear people complaining about the bridge and the hardware choice, but how does it play? Is it versatile? How would it compare to a casady? Or am I just paying for the name. My chance to trade in is this saturday, so please give me all the input you can, good and bad. Thanks everyone!

2. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    If you dont have to put additional money down I would do the trade as the tbird is of higher value.

3. Bobomb

Bobomb

Dec 5, 2012
    Ill be paying a small difference, but its not about price its about the bass. Ive wanted a t bird for about 5 or 6 months now, I just wanted a bass review

4. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    I have lots of Thunderbirds. The New NR is well built, the hardware aside from being black is fine. The all mahogany set neck construction gives this bass a warm natural sustain. If you like post '89 Thunderbirds I think you will like the sound of this bass with it's TB Plus pickups. No neck dive given the smaller headstock/tuners and the body is 1/4 thicker than a 60's NR.

5. I have not played a new Gibson NR T Bird, but have owned Gibson T Birds with the same pick ups. The tone is aggressive and hot, and can tend toward being more "modern" sounding, if that makes sense. I use to own a JC Epi bass, these are completely different animals. The JC is a hollowbody bass with different pick ups.

6. Bobomb

Bobomb

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks for the help GodofThunder, Ive seen you on this forum before and was hoping for a response from you. Would you say the bass is versatile? Or more suited for one specific genre?

7. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    With the two pickups I think you will find it a versatile bass. As someone else already said the TB Plus pickups are pretty powerful though modern sounding to my ear. You can get tons of variety from trying different strings, fingers vs pick etc.

8. Bobomb

Bobomb

Dec 5, 2012
    Thanks for the advice, the bass has been ordered and will hopefully arrive in about a week or two

9. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Jan 2, 2013
    Please give a review when you recurve it,, I've been looking and I'm ready to buy one,just want to hear what ya think ,, thanks

10. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Jan 2, 2013
    Receive,, stupid autocorrect lol

11. Bobomb

Bobomb

Dec 5, 2012
    SO I have received the bass and it is quite simply amazing. I love the feel of the whole guitar. The neck feels fast (not the sticky feel I had with the Cassady) and GodOfThunder was not kidding about the sustain on this guitar, you can hold a note for what seems like forever. Great sound, and the highs are unreal in my opinion. No mud on the high ends, with easy accesbility due to the shape of the bass. The guitar is also extremley light, and to boot the case is amazing (though I dont think it will fit in the back of my car which could be an issue).

I received the expected Gibson quality control on this bass, one screw in the pickguard is not fully screwed in and some sort of glue like substance on the headstack near the tuning pegs (though easily removed, but come on now). The quality control sheet that comes with the guitar is purely for show lol as the pickguard was checked off fine, though clearly one screw is sticking up. Its impossible to miss by glancing at the guitar. But I can overlook these flaws as this bass is simply amazing, maybe exclusively to me, but I love it. Easily my favourite. Oh yes, the pelham blue paint job is magnificent ( I was expecting some horrors TBH after reading some other Gibson reviews and personal experience).
    I believe these bad boys are becomming harder to find, so grab one if you can! BTW, does anyone know if these are limited run? Whats the dealio?

12. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

Jan 27, 2008
    Nashville TN
    PICS!!!!!!! :bassist:

13. godofthunder59

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    As far as I know theses are a limited run. Glad you are enjoying your new NR! Gibson CQ issues are annoying but not fatal, those of use who play them have come to expect it.

14. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Jan 2, 2013
    Nice thanks for the review,, that blue is awesome!

15. bluesbassbkf

bluesbassbkf

Jan 2, 2013
    Pics please

16. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    I have always preferred the body shape of the non-reverse as compared to the more common reverse styling.

I think the swap from the Casady to the NR Gibby was a wise choice!

17. I am getting one for my birthday (May 4th), but I am allowed to open it tomorrow. I will post in this thread again when I have tried it.

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    Elberon, New Jersey
    I know it's an old thread, but I have to chime in. I've had mine 4 years. I love it. I get compliments constantly, even from other bass players, about how good the tone is out of this guitar. I will never sell it as long as I'm playing it. Love love love