Non-Squier fretless options under $500?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Waltsdog, Feb 24, 2017.

1. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm looking to get a cheap lined fretless but would prefer something with a wider flatter neck profile. I know the Squier fretless options are pretty decent and I'll probably end up with one of those if there isn't anything that is closer to my preferred specs.

My local used market is pretty sparse when it comes to fretless (a lot of diy jobs that look poorly done) so new is probably best.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
  3. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    They look nice but what I'm looking for is something with a a wide flat and slim neck like an ibanez SR.

4. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Did you check out the SRf370 from Ibanez? Like $399.

Aqualung60 and Waltsdog like this.
  5. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    That would be a winner but I believe it's discontinued.

6. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I'm sure there are decent techs around in Ottowa. If a SR is what you really want, call around and see how much a pro would charge for a defret; figure out the budget and pick up a used SR. No reason it cant be done, and look good in the end. This is exactly what i did and was very pleased.

7. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    Sweetwater has them still and sounds as well.

8. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    I'm not specifically after an SR just an alternative to the standard Fender neck shapes. I can pick up a Squier VM fretless for around $300 Canadian which is way less hassle than messing with de-frets.

Shipping to Canada, import and taxes puts it over the $500 mark, plus we have the rosewood issues and Sweetwater has none actually in stock. :(

Dean N likes this.
  9. Dean N

Dean N

Jul 4, 2006
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hmm. I guess we're all spoiled in the States, getting to window shop on the GC used site and CL. Soundgears are a dime a dozen. I'd just make sure you dont feel like you're going with a second choice, even if the budget is tight. I hate buyer's remorse.

Waltsdog likes this.
  10. TMARK

TMARK

Jan 10, 2012
    Richmond VA
    That sucks. Sweetwater had them a few weeks ago.

11. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    The biggest store L&M has some decent used inventory and local store specials around the country but their website isn't designed with that in mind. Finding anything other than standard fare up here can be just one long research project, and in two languages.. yay!

12. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
    It's giving me: total 243,23 CAD and I'd have to pay about 17% on top of that for import duty and sales tax. Pretty much a wash with the Squier VM ($300 ish locally).
    Also they say it can't be shipped to Canada, probably rosewood issues.

13. Showing me $185 CAN, I had wrong shipping country but you're right they won't ship.

Sorry for wasting your time. Could've been good.

14. David_NJ

David_NJ

Jan 13, 2016
    Teaneck NJ USA
    Check out rondomusic.com, they have low priced fretless basses.I bought one second hand a week ago and am pleased with it.

Waltsdog likes this.
  15. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    wishbass? sx?

16. David_NJ

David_NJ

Jan 13, 2016
    Teaneck NJ USA
    Older sx

17. Waltsdog

Waltsdog

Feb 21, 2009
    Ottawa, ON
  18. db4124

db4124

Oct 13, 2011
    Washington
    Wishbass. $150 + sandpaper + Truoil = awesome!

IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1532.jpg

19. morgansterne

morgansterne Geek U.S.A.

Oct 25, 2011
    Cleveland Ohio
    esp ltd?

I don't know Ontario geography so this guy might be 7 hours away from you. and he doesn't say exactly what model it is. But I did a quick check and the other esp ltd models had even flatter radius than the ibanez SR's.

Waltsdog likes this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 29, 2021