Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non- TAB music books (transcripts)

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by redjeep!, Oct 28, 2002.

1. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    First of all, don't get me wrong. I'm not an anti-TAB snob (the way I play I can't afford to be).

I'm trying to improve my sight reading skills but I find that if there's a TAB below the notation then I always tend to read it instead of the standard notation.

Does anybody know of any bass clef, fake or real books that don't feature TAB ? All the transcripts books that I've ever seen have either tab, or are written in C or Eb.

Thanks
    Andy

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Trombone music is roughly the same range as bass. The Arban's book is good. I don't have my copy handy, but I'm sure Pacman will come along and tell you the exact title.

Chris A.:rolleyes:

3. if you can't find a book, you can take an existing book and by using sticky note. Cut the exses off so as not to interfear with reading the next line and cut enough to cover up all of the tab. The first song that you cover up may take a little while but after that you already have the sticky notes cut and can reuse them. Hope this helps

4. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Thanks for the replies.

I'm trying to avoid another book like Arbans as I've (used or borrowed from my teacher) half a dozen similar books. I'm also waiting for my copy of "Reading Contempory Bass" to arrive. What I was looking for was some actual music, rather than an instruction book. I suppose that this gives me more choices though as I may be able to find music written for trombone.

Also thanks for the suggestion about the sticky notes - I've found that 3/4 inch masking tape works really well (the blue stuff is good), but don't really want to do this to all my books as it won't come off.

I know that you can buy the complete works of the Beatles which is tab free , but it's $75 and was just wondering if there was a bass clef fake/ real book available.

Thanks,
    Andy

5. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Well, Standing in the Shadows of Motown has to be mentioned!

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well - virtually any Jazz stuff will do as nobody writes tab for Double Bass!! ;)

A very popular title in the UK is "Charlie Parker Omnibook for Bass Clef" . Virtually any of the Aebersold play-alongs have the tune (head) in Bass Clef - usually at the back of the book. Then you can practice playing the tune over the CD.

I also got the Mingus More than a Play along - which has transcribed bass lines and there is a "Bass Clef edition" which I bought!

There is also a Hal Leonard series called "Jazz Improvisation Workshop" which has bass clef editions - the one I have, includes 15 Jazz tunes transcribed - including "Boplicity" ;) as well as a CD.

I'll probably think of some more later.....

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Hey! I'd better buy that book!!!:D

8. you can also go to www.freesheetmusic.net and once there go to songs and they have a lot of sheet music most without tab and some with

9. redjeep!

redjeep! Guest

Jan 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Thanks - you've given me plenty of options.

Jim - I would have bought your books had I seen them a month ago - but I bought an alternative sight reading book. I was really looking for transcripts of actual songs rather than another exercise book.

10. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
  11. Finding things and practicing are the best things you can do. I would recomend finding some church books and practice reading them. Those are good with all of the different key changes and such.

12. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Phil,

These books also contain transcribed bass lines. At the site you can view a sample page of music and listen to mp3 expamples of the play-alongs.

Reading Bass Parts Vol. 1
    Jazz Quartet: Walking Lines, 2 Beat, Bossa, Waltz
    http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassparts1

Reading Bass Parts Vol. 2
    Funk / Rock:
    http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassparts2

Reading Bass Parts Vol. 3
    Jazz Trio: Melody, Walking, 2 Beat, Bossa, Waltz, 6/8
    http://www.jimstinnett.com/books.html#anchorbassparts2