1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non-tangling instrument cable?

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by Kipp Harrington, Dec 10, 2018.

1. OK... I take care of my cables. Roll/wind them up correctly EVERY time I am done using them. I have had these particular cables for about 10-12 years but they didn't get an enormous amount of use. Gigging a couple times/month and maybe practice/rehearsal once a week. They are quality cables by Fulltone. They do not make these anymore. I see that Orange has a cable that claims not to tangle called "Twister" cables. Not sure I want to spend $80 on a 20" cable though. Does anyone have a cable that doesn't tangle up on them? Suggestions? Thanks!!!

2. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Here's my no-tangle setup:

Sony DWZ B30.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself, but once I went to an all battery wireless system, I got hooked (I do carry a cable just in case).

Rune Bivrin likes this.
  3. Hey man. Checked these out on line. Almost 1,200 five star ratings. As you said, people mentioned the "non-kink/tangle" advantage of these cables as well as the quality of there build. Looks like this is a no brainer! And the price... $15 for a 20" cable? Holy Cow! Thanks so much for your reply to the thread.

4. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    My experience is that the cloth covered toaster cords don't tangle because they are less flexible.
    While is use Canare GS6, I think the silver series Mogami are really flexible and don't have a memory.

5. I made some cables with Canare GS-6 and Tech Flex wrapping. They are quite good and very un-tangly.

There are a lot of boutique brands that will make them for you. I like Sinasoid.

6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    my canare cords work great, also use Divine Noise coil cords, they never tangle

7. How do you define the "correct" way to roll up cables?

Do you do it like this?

pachoate and RhynoRock like this.
  8. Yes. I am pretty meticulous about taking care of my equipment. All of it.

9. Cool, I never seen anybody but myself roll cables this way!

10. You’re right. My bad. I roll mine a bit differently. I will keep this in mind.

11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I’ve had good luck with the cloth/braided Spectraex cables as well. I never roll up my cables the right way and the tangling is always minimal with them.

12. Fender Custom Shop tweed cables fit the bill.

JakobT likes this.
  13. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    Interesting; I found that every time I added TechFlex outer sleeving to a cable it made it harder to wrap and/or more likely to get tangled.

But it sure looked badass.

14. RhynoRock

RhynoRock

Dec 19, 2012
    Fredonia, NY
    I was gonna say, if ya roll em over-under they tend to not tangle. but someone beat me to it!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  15. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    +1 on these, though I prefer the black version. They don’t kink or tangle, are of good quality, well shielded and fairly inexpensive.

Morrighan likes this.
  16. Those GLS cables got tangled more than any I’ve ever owned. Look good and sound good though — and you can’t beat the price. Maybe I just don’t like cloth covered cables.

17. I worked construction in the days before they had battery packs for drills and other tools requiring electric cords.
    One of the first thing you are taught and expected to do from there on is professionally roll up cables, cords and other long types of wire. The trick was to slightly twist the cable while rolling it up . I'm sure there are more ways to skin a cat than one way and one way only. I've worked with musicians that just gather up their cables and just stuff them into a tote bag. Next gig they spend 20 minutes trying to untangle all the cables.

cable. Cable2.

18. learn how to properly roll up the cables & you're golden
    I even use this method with 6' long USB cables.