1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non-Taper Strings Through Body

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Da Funk Docta, May 10, 2010.

1. Hi Tbers
    I have a MIA Fender Deluxe Jazz (2006) that has the option of strings through body and top loading.

I want the supposed added sustain of stringing through-body, and I also like the SIT stainless steel rock bright strings (which are not tapered)

Am I really going to get bad results by using a non-tapered string being strung through-body?

Is all of this talk about needing tapered strings for through-body stringing true?

Thanks!

2. Emre Hanli

Emre Hanli

Aug 22, 2009
    Haven't tried it but I don't see why it would be a problem. If you have enough length to run around the posts, there shouldn't be an issue.

3. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Never heard of any need to have non-tapered strings. I've owned/own three basses that could only be strung through the body, and four that offered the option. Of those, the only tapered string I've ever used was the stock B string on my Lakland Skyline 55-01. That bass sounds much better since I switched to a non-tapered 0.130" B.

As with all things related to highly subjective aspects of bass playing, the only way to find out is to try it. However, having compared STB/top-load (search threads for this topic) a lot, I can assert that there's no real difference in either method with most basses, so don't worry about which way you string. BTW, even though I know there's no difference, I still string my Laklands through the body- go figure...

John

4. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I have TI flats strung through the body on my P5, they're not tapered and its fine. The B string has no issues and its a monster!

5. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I have D'addario XL on my Jazz Deluxe V, and they works fine.

6. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    try emailing info@sitstrings.com. they can custom make you stainless tapers. you might have to order a minimum of a full box or something, but they're real easy company to work with.

7. Back in '95 Bass Player Mag did a super sting review on almost all 4 and 5 sting sets available at that time. One of the most surprising results was the fact that non-tapered strings sets for 5 string basses were the preferred choice when it came to sound and sustain. Another BP test in 2006 (or so) had basically the same results.
    So.....string those non-tapered sets thru that body and have fun.