Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Non-versatile basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nomadic Herder, Nov 21, 2001.

1. I was just wondering...have any of you bought a bass that wasn't really versatile? With Jazz basses and G&L's you have a lot of versatility. Do you ever buy basses that have only one tone and require you to switch basses if you want a different tone? This is how it is with me since I bought my P-bass. One sound, but a great one at that. Are there any other basses with one sound?

2. nope. and if i did i'd sell as soon as i figured out how limiting it was. actually it wouldn't even get home because if i buy a bass i usually play it for atleast 30 minutes prior to buying.

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

My ancient Rick 4001 is like that.

But it's the only way to get "that sound"

Can't imagine Squire in Yes with anything else.

4. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I've only ever experienced that with a P bass. That's why I've sold every one I've ever owned.

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    I would have to say a rick to. i disagree that the p-bass is not versatile. with a 7 band EQ, and a little tweaking, Ive gotten my P-Bass to sound very difrent. from bottem heavy lows, to a VERY midrangey sound, to almost a Flea type honk.

6. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    I have a modded out 78 fretless rick... The original rick pickups and bridge were replaced... and another was installed. It sounds noodley and is only useful with a compressor and alot of eq work. I still love the bass but its the least versitile ive ever tryed.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I believe he's playing Carvin's now. Haven't heard him play one though, so I don't know what he sounds like now.

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    well, he's 'pictured' playing a Carvin here and there...I've heard he whips one out now and then, but I think he's still playing the Ric most.
    He's always turning up holding a new bass, but I don't know how much he uses them...

9. In defense of the poor old P-bass... It's one tone (plus or minus eq) is good for a wide variety of different musical styles. On some level, that is versatility as much as tonal options.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    YES! PREACH IT BOYS!

11. rickbass

Don't hold your breath waiting, either, Liquid. The sound that "made" Squire, (besides Chris), was a Rick. Don't believe the Carvin B.S. Here's what's mentioned as his other basses at his website, besides his Ricks;

"Other basses in Chris' arsenal include a custom triple neck bass, an 8-string built by Chicago luthier Eric Ranney, a Fender Jazz bass, a green Mouridian 4-string, and an Westone Electra, from St. Louis Music. Chris also has several Tobias basses, including a red five string bass that has his name inlaid in the neck."

Er, uh.......no mention of Carvin.

How many times have you seen Will Lee put down his Sadowsky for a Carvin, although the Carvin catalog pictures him with one?

Same with their "endorser" Steve Vai. I just read an article about him and he wasn't using their guitars or amps.

Carvin wouldn't know the word "ethics" if you stamped it on their foreheads, IME.

12. XxBassmanxX

XxBassmanxX

Nov 21, 2001
    Rosman NC
    Well Steve still keeps carvins in his rack and woops them out on concerts. I do think its kindof funny though that out of his 119 piece guitar collection only 1 is a carvin (acoustic that he always uses)

kinda strange

13. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    He had the Carvin Legacy stack with him on stage when I saw him in Stockholm last spring. And he's not a Carvin guitar endorsee, and my knowledge he never was. He's an Ibanez player with his own signature model. Where was this article you read?

14. rickbass

I never said he was.

I know he's uses all kinds of Ibanez.

I don't remember which of the numerous guitar mags where the article appeared, (they get to be blur). But the writer mentioned him using some amp I'm not familiar with - Egnater. It may be one of those deals where they were talking about in the studio or a one-time thing.

....Now, back to your regularly scheduled thread.....

15. jazzbass2001

jazzbass2001

Nov 2, 2001
    I know Squire is a Lakland Bob Glaub user now too, how much he plays it, I dunno.

A Rick is pretty limited in tones but the one it gets is killer.

16. Thrillkiller

Thrillkiller

Apr 25, 2001
    NC
    I would have to say, I've owned 2 basses that were (to me) not the most versatile. One was a Ric 4003, and the other was an Ovation Magnum. Not exactly suited for every situation, but MAN did they both look cool! If only those factory pickups were really jazz pickups in disguise.

17. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    you are exactly right Oysterman, Steve Via uses Carvin Legacy amps, and exclusivly plays Ibanez Jems for his electric guitars.

18. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    going back to he topic:
    i prefer a bass that is not a monster of versatility but is a monster in playability than viceversa. today's modern technology let us tweak a lot of sounds with useful outboard stuff. i'm not an onboard preamp kind of guy. i prefer to use eq, model technology, outpoard preamp settings with tools like the BOD or similar. a BOd can change a lot the sound of a bass and can let you have a lot of differet sounds. i prefer a bass with a neck, weight, string spacing that i like most of all. the sound is in the making even when it leaves the output jack of a bass.

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, maybe not EXCLUSIVELY JEM's! :D

[​IMG]

Someone please slap me, I'm dragging this off topic again!

20. I've had two Warwicks and don't think they're very versatile. It's impossible to remove that signature sound, which is cool if you like the sound, but not so cool if you want something else.