1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Non-Western scales

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by quotidian, Mar 21, 2006.

1. quotidian

quotidian

Feb 26, 2006
    Aloha,

Where would I find examples of Arabian, East Indian, Asian and African scales?

Thank you in advance for any help on the subject.

Peace,

Dean

2. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    A great resource is Yusef Lateef's "Repository of scales and melodic patterns". Yusef is of course the brilliant jazz saxophonist/flutist. It's a big and sometimes bewildering book but you will have a lot to chew on for a few years or a lifetime. It's out of print. I found a copy recently at a music store in NYC.

Nicholas Slominsky's "Thesaurus of scales and melodic patterns" is a similar work. Coltrane and some of the other jazz guys referenced it, although it was written for the classical world.

Amazon has it. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/08...102-5520020-7015328?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

3. Futurebass

Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
  4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    If you really want to get into different scales from around the world, you'll have to have way to deal with micro-tuning. If you have a fretless bass that will do just fine. Sometime synthesizers have different temperments programed. If you don't know what this is, look into "Just Tone Tuning" and "Even Tone Tuning". Its a wild world, good luck.

5. Dharmabum

Dharmabum

Jul 11, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    I might reccomend the "Bass Grimoire."

It covers a lot of ground and isn't as much of a mental overload as Slominsky can be.

Bass Grimoire at Amazon.com