1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

non yellowing clear coat

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by jonnymorrow, Aug 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    Hey luthier friends. I've been spraying with Nitro for a while now and not only am I kinda tired of spraying but I'm tired of my instruments all "yellowing" or "darkening." Love that raw wood look. Who out there has had success with a wipe on finish that is as little darkening or color changig as possible? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
  3. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    Thanks HaMMerHeD. Yeah definitely going water based. Any products you recommend? Thanks for the link too but i'm hoping for a wipe on solution not a spray.

4. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Walmer
    UV / Solarez might well be the way to go. It can be brushed on and it stays liquid up until it's exposed to the sun. Once cured...it's harder than most finishes.

5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    Polyester resin = non-yellowing

6. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    Thanks guys! Will definitely give the UV resin a try!

7. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK, USA
    Regarding waterborne polyurethane, I've only ever used a General Finishes high-performance version. It was easy to brush on evenly and cured very hard. It did take a lot of layers and sanding to level out the brush strokes though.

8. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    I don't mind the sanding too much. Non yellowing is #1 priority. Also love the ease of use with the UV. Let's see what happens!

9. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    My go to answer would be an automotive 2k urethane clear.

10. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    Looking for a wipe on.

11. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Why? Its more work, more sanding, a greater chance of witness lines ect. Spraying is a much better way of applying a high gloss finish.

Okstatefan and HaMMerHeD like this.
  12. jonnymorrow

jonnymorrow

Jul 8, 2005
    I guess I'll find out.

13. praisegig

praisegig Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2008
    Stephenville, TX
    I would buy a can of SprayMax or Eastwood 2K clear, spray 3 coats, wait 24 hours to cure, wet sand and polish. No wipe on will give you the same performance

Okstatefan and Hopkins like this.
  14. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    I have no idea how it would hold up as an instrument finish, but I did some furniture with Minwax Polycrylic 20+ years ago and it's still clear and holding up well to "not treated preciously" furniture use.

15. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Speaking of yellowing clearcoat,think that is what happened when previous owner had my Jazz bass,and had the neck sprayed with clearcoat? Would like to get the neck yellow look off? Any advice on how to get the clear coat off? 20150823_130645.

16. Strip the finish off the neck.

17. Chrome Dome

Chrome Dome Chrome Dome Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2013
    Piqua,Ohio 45356
    Ok,any recommendations,what to use? Thanks

18. To do it right i think the frets would have to come out. Then i'd be worried about damaging the inlays. I'm not sure i would touch that one. And its bound.....

JustForSport likes this.
  19. Someone braver will drive by.

20. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    I have successfully used a wipe-on method on furniture many times. In fact it's my go to for any type of finishing project. Generally I use polyurethane thinned out by 50%. I wipe hand wipe (not brush) on many thin coats (15 to 20 usually), sanding with 600 to 2000 grit every few coats. If I get a drip, it is very thin, and can be sanded right off before the next coats. I get a very glossy finish when done with no ripples or drips. I don't see any reason why this couldn't be done with a water based finish on a bass guitar. It may seem labor intensive, but it really just takes a few minutes to wipe on each coat, then its just a matter of being patient btwn each coat (and having a dust free environment for drying).