1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

None Back East?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    There are even a few scattered reports of sightings from north west Jersey amazingly enough. Who knows...
    I think they are awesome creatures but introducing them back into the densely-crowded East is probably a real bad idea...

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
  3. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Im sure there's plenty of cougars back east.
    Wanna find out? Go to your local drinking establishment, preferably one that caters to lots of classic rock coverbands.
    Go alone. Sit yourself at the bar with a drink. Keep an eye out, Im sure you'll encounter a few. Dont worry, theyre not as dangerous as everyone makes them out to be...

4. rr5025

rr5025

Nov 12, 2008
    Supposedly the ones in the east now are not native to the east, they're ones that have migrated from the west. I read an article about this awhile back I'll see if I can dig it up.

EDIT here is the article I was thinking of. Seems there might not be a difference between Eastern and western cougars. If that's the case then I suppose its not extinct.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11062/1129287-84.stm

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Well, OK sure, but it's the term "extinct" I have an issue with.

Dinosaurs are extinct (for the most part) but if there's the possibility of a breeding pair of cougars moving into an area and reclaiming territory they once occupied, I'd call them "Displaced" not "Extinct".

6. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    Heh, I didn't even know they had mountain lions in the East to begin with.

I've had encounters with them living here and going to sierras all the time. I am not too worried when i see them, its when i don't i start to worry a little bit. If you see them, they are not in hunting mode, so unless there are cubs around you should be fine. However, when they are trying to hide, get the gun ready. They are especially fun at night when you are shining a flashlight at the bush and it shines back at you... Nothing few shots won't fix. They tend to not like bullets.

Pretty cool animals, still i stay away from them as much as possible.

7. aborgman

aborgman Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Different species.

It's like saying "the Dodo isn't extinct because pigeons could reclaim the territory they once occupied".

Eastern and Western Cougars are/were two separate, genetically unique, animals.

8. Southpaw5

Southpaw5

Jul 18, 2009
    Boston
    When i lived in Northern Vermont we found their tracks in the fields in the snow behind our house from time to time. There are some pretty cool benefits to the land laws up there(in Underhill 10 acre minimum. ours was about 15, many were much larger).

We actually "saw " one once. It was about 10:30PM late spring and we were outside by our barn looking out onto the field behind our house. There is what is essentially a ditch surrounding the field so we'd see animal eyes flash in the night all the time.

Well, this one night my room-mate and I notice that a particularly wide set of eyes has been watching us for a good couple of minutes from the far side of the field sow we just watch back. Suddenly, the eyes go from less than foot off the ground to about waist height. We grabbed the dogs and ran for dear life!

The next morning we went out to the edge of the field and sure enough, there were the biggest cat prints I've ever seen, the full spread was as big as my palm.

They exist :)

9. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I don't know about elsewhere,but in northern Michigan/lower U.P.,it's a revenue saving,cover-up type thing. In a nutshell,it's like this..

Way up here there's no 'big industry',and we rely almost entirely on tourism generating revenue. Roughly 80% of that is generated by our hunting/fishing industry. For years and years,our Dept. of Natural Resources has been denying claims of cougar,wolf,and wolverine sightings. They've always explained these sightings as mis-identification of common bobcats,coyotes,and badgers. Believe me,there's no mistaking a coyote for a wolf,or a 30lb bobcat for cougar the size of a deer. I might give you the badger/wolverine mistake if you're not local,as they are fairly similar..

The well known 'secret' is that they ARE here,but if that were to be Officially recognized,most if not all of our hunting/fishing lands would become federally regulated Endangered/Protected Species Habitats,and the states main source of income would be annihilated.

Regardless what claims are made,I have personally seen all three and relatively often at that!

10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That's a believable conspiracy theory.

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Anthony!

We have a cougar living on our property (actually hunting our property and living about a mile away) in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. We see the tracks, but many have seen her in person, and National Geographic has confirmed as a 'true sighting'.

Kind of fun that National Geographic did a 'confirmed' cougar sighting map about a year ago in one of their issues, and there is a start right over our property in the UP, on the Garden Peninsula.

It is a little scary. Bears will ignore you, but you don't really want to stumble onto a cougar when you are walking down the road!

12. aborgman

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Well, except for the fact that the Michigan DNR has confirmed the existence of cougars in the UP.

Like all conspiracy theories (especially relating to the Michigan DNR) it's silly as all get out.

He probably think the DNR transplanted wolves back to Michigan also.

13. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 No secret about the Mountain Lions nor the wolves (which I have seen personally on our property) up in the UP. Kind of a source of pride actually. Most people I know up there (at least on our peninsula) dig it. A little scary for a weekend city boy like me, but that is part of the entire experience of owning property up there.

Wish we could find a way to bring some moose back to the UP!

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Very true. I've got a buddy who has some great trail cam shots of "extinct" cougars. With Trail cams now it's getting harder to denny these rumors. Nighttime infrared cameras posted by hunters scouting over bait piles and deer trails have a way of revealing things.

But you're wrong about the hunting regs, the only effect is on farmers and game kills. I don't know anyone in MI interested in Wolf or Cougar hunting seasons. And they're not going to change coyote or deer hunting rules because of other endangered species. As far as federal lands, endangered species laws may effect development, but with our economy and the amount of federal and state land already in the sate its a moot point. The only real change comes in a Federal Wildlife officers responsibilities should their be a report of a kill.

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ken, a cougar was spotted in St. Charles a few years ago. I also know was caught in a trap in SE Missouri during the first week of this year. He was examined and released. I know some have been seen in Southern Illinois too. You know all of those rich low notes coming out of your Bergantino cabs are irresistable to that big ole pussy!:bassist:

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

We could do an entire thread based on your last sentence, but I think I will let that one go:bag:

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    The Cougar you don't see is the one you worry about it. That is an animal that will stalk humans (especially kids). Most Bear attacks are accidental encounters, but I've heard of Cougars stalking someone for an hour before an attack. On the flip side most of them avoid human contact.

We do have Moose in the UP, but that's over by the Taqhemonon River. I'd love to see the moose population get restored up there.

MI has a lot of wildlife. Bear are becoming more common in the lower with sightings this year as far south as Detroit and Grand Rapids suburbs. I probably see about four Black Bear a year in MI while fishing. If you spend time in areas where they aren't hunted you'll see a lot more. Cougars have been sighted as far south as the Midland area, and there is at least one wolf pack operating in the NO. Lower.

18. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Ken, you need to go visit Burke and borrow a gun just in case that big ole pussy gets too curious.:smug:

19. aborgman

Jun 12, 2007
    Ypsilanti, MI 48197
    Problem is that the only way to do it is drastic and severe reduction of the deer population in the same area. Brainworm carried by whitetails is a big issue in growing the Michigan moose herd.