None were a coverband

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Clef_de_fa, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I saw 3 bands tonight and none of them were a cover band !!!

All of them had at least one CD !

All original music !!!

reading here feels like there is only cover band and none write new music ...

ahh I feel better

10cc, Novarocker, ficelles and 16 others like this.
  2. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Everybody made $100 a man I'm sure :D :roflmao:

3. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member

People here post what their original bands are up to all the time, I didn't have that impression at all. A lot of venues around here don't do coverbands at all, or not on certain nights, they do the multi-band lineup of three or four originals bands. Generally unpaid and most not having enough material written or enough draw yet to do a show on their own. Which is fine, that's the local original band experience.

4. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Been in original bands my whole life, it's the only way to go for me.
    And just like people in cover bands I have made great money and I have made meh money.

10cc, GregC, funkinbottom and 7 others like this.
  5. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I share that sentiment, and I'll add to that the widespread notions of
    1) "join a working band, never start one up" - good way to never quite play the music you want if your tastes lie outside top 40 or blues
    2) "if the band don't gig, scram!"
    3) bands only being respectable if they generate $$$
    4) "originals? No one wants to hear that!"
    5) playing trash in front of drunk middle aged men >>> playing music you actually enjoy

10cc, GregC, Jazz Ad and 3 others like this.
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    This forum is heavily geared towards cover bands and church bands, but there are plenty guys playing in bands that write their own music. But I agree, this forum does kind of feel like a Bizarro world a lot of the time.

10cc, petrus61, GregC and 7 others like this.
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    How many CDs did you buy? Did anyone in your group buy some merch?

smogg, Lvjoebass, pudgychef and 2 others like this.
  8. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    I did get CDs, I don't know if they had merch. It wasn't in a bar. It was outside.

All three bands were Indigeneous People. Quite interesting to hear their language and what they have to say.

10cc, GregC, BassWaffle and 5 others like this.
  9. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa Guest

Dec 25, 2011
    It get lost in the pile of church band, cover band, cover band drama and the like.

matante and AaronVonRock like this.
  10. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Congrats! Very few get past the "pay to play" stage hereabouts :( .

smogg and shawshank72 like this.
  11. RoadRanger

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    Hey, I enjoy playing originals - just had to drop my latest originals project due to the typical eventual BS craziness - check out my post in the Lounge :wideyed:.

Ant Illington likes this.
  12. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    TB is weird like that. I've never been in a cover band, never played with a cover on the same bill, and have nevet gone out to purposefully see a cover band. Before I joined TB I thought they were a dying breed at only existed a car shows and county fairs.
    Here people actively scoff at being in an originals band. It blows my mind. I've been playing since I was 14 and the goal was always to play my own stuff. The idea of only playing other people's work seems alien to me.

10cc, petrus61, GregC and 10 others like this.
  13. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    What's weird is anyone feeling the need to justify what they play. We all play different stuff for different reasons.

petrus61, SactoBass, smogg and 14 others like this.
  14. scootron

scootron

Jul 17, 2007
    Moved to Texas
    I think TB leans toward cover bands and church bands simply because the vast majority of bass players who actually get out and play do so in cover bands or church bands. These are not necessarily virtuoso bassists, but TB is for everyone who loves bass.

Most of my gigs are playing covers, because...that's most of the demand. I back up a couple of singer/songwriters, and they are good, IMO, each with a few CDs out, but they don't have a big demand for live gigs. People want music they can dance to around here...music to support getting drunk and rowdy.

I have a lot of buddies to who write original tunes. A lot of it is meaningful, contemplative music. Not much of it is good dance music.

15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    What I also find weird is the whole bar thing*... Your job is to sell alcohol? I mean, really?

*Over here, we have neither church nor bar bands, so much of it is completely foreign to me.

10cc, AaronVonRock and gebass6 like this.
  16. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    Sad but true.

17. stigbeve

stigbeve

Sep 24, 2014
    Used to drum in a cover band. Made some decent money but I always gave it to the bass player who schlepped the drums and p/a from his house. They were his drums too that I got to play on. Nice Pearl Studio set with Zildjian K cymbals.

Now having been in an original metal band for 6 years I think the most I made was 20 bucks at The Boardwalk in Orangevale, CA. Another time we got free Pabst and Little Caesers at The Knitting Factory in Reno.

Never been in it for the money, just the love of making people move to some good music.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
    GregC and matante like this.
  18. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    I was in Hamburg for a long weekend early this year, and managed to find 3 great venues with live music...all with German bands, some doing covers, some original.
    'Astra Stube' was one place, can't remember the others, but one was only a couple of doors down from that one.

Nashrakh likes this.
  19. First? There aren't covers. I own every song I play, in the moment. Second? I play heavily in both original and cover acts. I'm paid every gig. From $100 on up. Not sure what others are doin, but I don't settle for pre conceived notions. I create a market. Our heroes play their fave tunes from their youth, and release em right next to their own #1 hits. Jazz has "standards", and we hail each unique take on any tune they choose to do. Covers? Originals? It's cool if ya wanna separate em. But my heroes don't often. I kinda wanna try what they do. And just play. Happily. Every chance I get. I'm blessed, no doubt.

20. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    I dont see the heavily covered up in church bands on TB..there is a club here for that ,even has its own thread if you want to read about it ...cover bands ,yep we are covered up in cover band talk but thats ok too cause not as many people start original bands.
    Personally i think TB is pretty well rounded as a forum..cept the jazz and pbass and tort thing....but thats just me.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021