Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noo! Why does this happen to me?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, May 21, 2003.

1. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Groan.

I just bought my Thumb BO 5 new for $1600 couple weeks back. And now when I go to other store for some strings, what do I see? A wonderful Warwick Fortress MM 5 from 1995 with wenge neck, brass nut and all in sweet honey finish for.. $1000. And the thing is, I almost like it more than my Thumb!

I have to admit, I haven't been that happy with the Thumb. Don't get me wrong, it's a wonderful bass but there's just something that doesn't feel 100% right in the tone and the feel.

So what do I do? Take the Thumby back to the store if they agree to take it back for couple hundred less than they sold it for, try to negotiate a deal with the other store for my Thumb, or keep the Thumb and forget this Fortress-nonsense? Help! :(

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    If it's not too inconvenient to get to the store, you could see if they'll do a deal - although evaluate the deal they offer carefully and make sure you really like the Fortress before proceeding...

Didn't you have an MTD Kingston as well? Have you still got that?

Wulf

3. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Thanks Wulf.

Yep, still got my ol' Kingston. I've been considering to sell it in favor of some other, probably fretted bass, but most Finnish bassists tend to be conservative so there's not much demand for fretless fives, let alone those which have been defretted - even if by a pro.

I'm also selling my stage piano this summer, which is just too expensive and professional quality machine for a homeplayer like me. It would bring me $1000 alright, but I consider owning two basses at a time suits me best right now. Besides, when I get my piano sold, it might be too late for the Fortress.

Anyways, I'll be heading back to the store to give it a through-out test drive and chat with the owner a bit - he's pretty nice older gentleman, but has earned a nickname "Mr. Ripoff" around here since he doesn't budge much on matters like this. Perhaps a long chat will help, we'll see.

4. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and buy the bass you want. It may take time and patience to sell your Thumb bass, but you'll do better selling it outright than on a trade-in. Perhaps you have a kind family member that will loan you the money until you can sell your ther bass or the piano.

JD