Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob Bass =p

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kishko86, Feb 21, 2003.

1. kishko86

kishko86

Jan 5, 2003
    Hi guys, ive been planing on buying a bass for a reasonable low price. My 2 choices at this point seems like either the Ibanez GSR200($200) or the Squier P Bass($170). Does anyone have some suggestions on these? Is there something i can spend just a little more money on that is much better? Any input will help.
    Ive found many reviews on around but id just like to get some from you guys.

Thanks very much,

Kevin

2. If you can save up a bit more money, Id suggest the Fender Standard Jazz or Precision bass. There are around $400, and would be a better deal in the long run than the two basses you mentioned.

Check them out on Musicians Friend:

Fender Standard Precision

Fender Standard Jazz

Or you could look at the Yamaha RBX170, which I havent personally played, but have only heard good things about:

Yamaha RBX 170

3. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    In that price range, I'd check around for used instruments first. Especially check places like local Musician's Friend clearance centers. I've found basses there that were great, with maybe a blemish on the bottom of the body by the strap button, very cheap. I've gotten an almost perfect $650 bass for $190 from the one in Kansas City.

Plus, in those stores, you can play everything for a bit before you buy. Which is very important, as Soundgear necks feel totally different to play on from Fender necks.

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Buying sh or a blem bass makes sense as you will probably get GAS at some point and want to sell it. A Fender Mex has a good residual value.

The point about the necks is a good one. MAny cannot get on witht the Ibanez 'pencil neck' (though others prefer it).

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Used is definitely better.

From the two you mentioned, I played the Squier P-Bass and it sounds real good.

6. Do not buy a new Fender P or J if they are 400 dollars American or the equivalent. You can get a used MTD Kingston 4, in good shape, for 300-400 dollars, and lemme tell you, THOSE THINGS ARE ANYTHING BUT NEWBIE BASSES. Blow out the Fender Standard models any day in my book.

If you have to spend only 200 bucks, I'd look used first. If not, Yamaha makes a tolerable beginner bass (I forgot which model; has a P pickup). The GSR200 is adequate if you can stand the neck.

7. Professor X

Professor X

Apr 15, 2002
    Motown
    Another option might be Essex... a lot of people on these boards have them... and they're DIRT CHEAP!!!

Check them out...

8. kishko86

kishko86

Jan 5, 2003
    Thanks a ton for the ideas/comments. I think im gonna look around a bit at some used stuff. Ill let you guys know what i end up getting or if i need some more help. Thanks again

Kevin

9. Dean_CustomJazz

Dean_CustomJazz Guest

Jan 23, 2002
    woburn
    ESSEX!!!!!!!!!!!!

there are people that have been playin for many years on TB who buy basses from here. I bought one myself, the blue jazz bass. For a final price of $140, it is WELL worth it. they sound, play, and look excellent.

Rondo Music

10. kishko86

kishko86

Jan 5, 2003
    Im very interested in Essex basses. Im looking for a P bass but the selection of colors on rondo isnt the greatest. Any one know another site with a wider selection? In the mean time, the search for used continues!

What do you guys think of the SX SPB62 Bass?