Noob Bass Player Looking For A Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pawn, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Hello, I am new to playing the bass. :bassist: I'm going to get a GSR200 because of all the good reviews. But what about an amp...I have about $200 ($250 tops)to spend on an amp. I don't need to move it much. I will be playing with 1 guitar on a 35 watt amp, and a drummer. We play Rock,Punk,Some metal..System of a down Etc. What do you think would be good?
  2. CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    You could get a Rumble 100 or $300 which will be worth the extra money. I doubt this will be a good amp but you could try a Behringer BX1200. I would though save for and buy the Rumble.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Get a used TNT115 combo. It'll serve you well until you can save for a real rig.
  4. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    I'd recommend, starting out with limited funds, your best bet would be to look at used gear. Peavey's bang for the buck and there are a lot of other good lines, but most of all, play through whatever it is you're going to buy.
  5. i played through a peavey rage 156 (or something) 15 watt guitar amp for the first couple years of playing :D
  6. I reckon you should look for a Trace Eliot Boxer 65. Not sure how much they are (about that price I reckon). 65 watts on a bass amp equals about 30 watts-ish from a guitar amp, so you should both be about the same volume - also if you ever do any really small gigs the amp should be powerful enough, also loads of people on here swear by Trace, so it may be a good one to think about...
  7. Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Buy used. I suggest Peavey. It's what we all started on--and some of us have even gone back to.
  8. Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    Hmm..looks like buying a used peavey is the way to go....Any one else have an opinion?

Thanks for the help.
  9. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Nope a used Peavey TKO 115 is the bass amp of choice for beginners.
  10. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL
  11. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    All these suggestions are good, but look used for a peavey tnt 115 they go for 300 used.

I have one and have had it for 2 years I play with 2 guitarists who have 212 120 watts combo's and i can cut through really nicely.

It'll kick the fender rubmle all over the place as well as that little GK 10'' combo.

and since you said you won't be moving it to much you wont have to worry about how much it weighs (80+lbs) But if you do decide to move it get a freind or a dolly. I've moved mine by myself and it aint easy.

Also its 150 watts that dosnt seem like much but I cranked mine up to 5 on the pre gain and 5 on the master had the mids/highs a little boosted and the lows were set flat. One note on my low b string shook my entire house, I also played this funky walking bass line and it felt like my house wanna ganna fall down.

Hope ya find something ya like!

12. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  13. You can pick up a used SWR WM12 or WM15 for around that price. They are very good combos.
  14. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    I sold my old Workingmans 10 for about 220 a while back. I can't reccomend enough digging one of these up used. I was really satisfied with it's sound even as I progressed. US Made, good quality, great sound... and easy to lug! :)
  15. Pawn

Aug 5, 2005
    so..about 9 for a used peavey 2 for fender rumble and 1 for a GK...What is the differnt between the TNT and the TKO?

Thanks again
  16. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Another vote for a used SWR Workingmans 15.
  17. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Speaker manufacturer and era of production if I recall right. They are basically the same amp as far as I know, just had a different name at one point.
  18. the TKO is 75 watt with its internal speaker (which is 8ohms) and with another 8 ohm speaker cab its 100 watt

the TNT is 150 watt with its internal speaker ( which is 4 ohms), add another 4 ohm speaker and its 200 watt

they are both still in production