1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

(noob) Christopher dbs- a good start?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jakrees747, Apr 15, 2008.

1. hi there,
    i havent posted here before, but here goes:

ive been playing electric bass and a palatino eub for a while and i am looking to buy a real double bass.
    im in the uk, and dont have the wonderful range of double basses the Americans enjoy, and was wondering if anyone here has come across the make Christopher and whether or not their cheaper basses are any good.

i was looking to spend around £1000 to £1500
    and i will be using it for jazz, classical and rock mostly by my self but hopefully with a band at some point.
    this one in particular caught my eye:
    http://www.thomann.de/gb/christopher_db_304_kontrabass_34.htm

i dont mind spending a few hundred more quid getting a good setup

any information or advice would be extremely appriciated:)

2. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    My local shop sells Christophers and I am in the process of getting a left-handed 304 for myself.

Every Chrissy bass I tried in the shop had a good sound. They all appeared to be well made and solid.

The key will be the set up once you get it.

3. I'm playing a Christopher 303 that I bought new in 2005. Very good sounding and playing bass (setup by the local luthier who sold it to me) especially for $2500 US.

4. Bardolph

Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I just checked out a 304 for a week. After a setup and putting some belcanto strings on it sounded huge. My only gripe is the finish. It's quite shiny and the bridge can slip more easily than on less glossy finishes.

5. Slaps McGoo

Slaps McGoo

Mar 23, 2008
    Montreal
    I've heard almost only good things about christophers, though I can't specifically recall any negative feedback, like most basses it was probably there. Good brand for chinese basses.

6. You are on the right track. The Chrissy will be a great place to get you started. :]

cheers!

7. Yes, In my opinion the best plys on the market for the cash.

8. rick123

rick123

Oct 20, 2001
    Evanston, Wyoming
    I've owned and played a Chrissie ply for several years and love it. Other players have often mistaken it for a much higher priced bass. One con was it came with a blindingly shiny finish which I deglossed much to my satisfaction.

9. My Christopher 303 has a "matte" finish. Nice light brown; really shows the grain and you don't need solar viewing glasses to look at it. I think they're still available in both finishes as the matte was fairly new when i bought the bass in 2005. Probably a result of the numerous complaints about the shiny finish. The luthier who sold it to me said he'd stopped ordering the "glossy" finish.

10. christ andronis

christ andronis Supporting Member

Nov 14, 2001
    Chicago
    I've had a carved Chrissy for several years now and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

11. smbear

smbear

Jul 10, 2007
    San Mateo, CA
    My opinion, and I am unanimous in this, is that Christophers are fine instruments at a good price. I bought mine, a Busetto (don't know the model number) in 2003 for $2500 US. It has served me well through gigs and recordings. Engineers like its balance and warmth - as do I. The bass projects even better with LaBella 7700 nylon strings. OK, so I can't bow, but I couldn't bow anyway. ;)

12. thanks guys, your advice has served me well, and i have ordered the christopher 304, it will arrive later this week. cat wait!:hyper: thanks for the help!

im not sure if it is in the glossy or matt finninsh, if its shiny ill just dull it down a bit

13. Lbk

Lbk

Oct 3, 2012
    What is the string length? 42?

14. Rigel42

Rigel42

Mar 24, 2009
    Naples, FL
    I'm a newbie as well. I picked up a 103t off Craig's list a few weeks ago. I was a little hesitant to purchase a plywood bass, but I figured I could resell it if I didn't like it. Its a keeper. Once I got my intonation under control the sound just kept getting better, and better, and better.