1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob Compressor Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FooHead, Mar 22, 2009.

1. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    Hiya,

I've been fiddling around with a Behringer MDX2600 rack compressor for a week or so now. So far I've learned I have LOTS more to learn about compression, and that its a neat tool.

I'm running a Tech21 Landmark 300 head with a single Bag End S15-D cab. I'm looking to add some punch and tighten up the bottom end a bit. I just do basement jams and such, no gigs or anything so thats why I went with the cheap Behringer.

I saw in the local Craglist today there is a used DBX166 for $200 cdn. New they go for almost $350 here, my Behringer was cheap, only $120. Is the DBX going to be 3X as good as the Behringer?

I can return the Behringer for store credit, but I'd only do that if the DBX is a far superior unit.

Can anyone help a noob!

Thanks!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi, believe it or not I think the Behr MDX sounds every bit as good as the dbx, and maybe... just maybe... better. :eek: The primary quality difference is that you could throw the dbx from a moving vehicle and then go back and get it and it will work fine. The Behr might not survive a drop from the desk to the carpeted floor.

3. FooHead

FooHead

Jan 27, 2005
    Western Canada
    Cool, thanks Bongo!

The MDX isn't real robust, it weights maybe 5 lbs and feels pretty cheap....cuz it was! LOL! I have it in my Gator rack bag so I'm sure it will survive being dragged from jam session to jam session. I'm not a hardcore gigger, just a fat old guy that still likes to make noise!

Lots of good info in your sig tag....I'm slowly working though it. Sometimes I have to read it a few times to get it.....but it's fun playing with new toys!

Thanks!!