1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NOOB MIDI questions - Line 6 Toneport??

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Spinal Tapper, Jan 6, 2012.

1. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Hey all! I'll try and keep this as simple as possible...

I'm a serious NOOB when it comes to recording, but I'm building my apartment studio up slowly. I've been using my Line 6 UX2 to record guitar, vocals, bass direct into Sonar 8 software. It's a great little setup and works fine for getting my ideas down. I recently got a set of Roland HD-1 V-drums, they sound find plugged in directly from the 1/8" out to the Line 6 Toneport...but I want more options...

I've found out the Roland HD-1 work great for MIDI, but I don't know the first thing about MIDI. I know I need a MIDI cable, for starters...

My question is: How DO I HOOK IT UP for MIDI!?!?

Can I get a midi cable and hook up directly to my Line 6 UX2? I don't understand how to connect the drums to my computer via MIDI cable.

Does it connect directly to the UX2, or do I have to plug the USB end of the cable directly to a USB port on my PC?

Appreciate any responses, as I googled it and can't find any info this basic...

2. You normally go midi out on the e-drums to midi in on the interface, and then interface USB PC. Unfortunately your Line 6 interface doesn't have a built in Midi interface, so you need to buy it extra.

3. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    The UX2 does not have MIDI connections, meaning you will need a MIDI to USB interface.
    There are a number of products that will do the job; the Roland UM-ONE seems like a good candidate.

4. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I use a Roland HD-1 kit (the little one that looks like it should be part of Guitar Hero/Rock Band), a cheap $25 USB MIDI interface, and Toontrack's Superior Drummer 2.0 for all of my drum tracks and it works beautifully. I've fooled several very knowledgeable drummers with my mixes.

To answer your question: All you need is a MIDI to USB interface, which you will plug directly into your computer. I'm not sure how Sonar handles MIDI, but in Logic it's a breeze. I didn't even have to install any drivers.

This is what I've been using: http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-Midis...JRBM/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1325881257&sr=8-7

It's gone up in price from $25 when I bought it, but it's still only about $40. There are plenty of others to choose from as well. Happy hunting!

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Thanks so much! EXACTLY the types of responses I was looking for. You could probably imagine the technical craziness that I was finding via Google searches about my very simple question.

The Roland Um-One looks like what I need.

My only other question is what about my PC's Sound Card? It's a Dell Latitude (4600 or something) and has a basic soundcard. The reason I use a Line6 UX2 is because the module has a built in sound card so I didn't need to install any new hardware on my PC. Everything soundwise comes OUT of that module and into my speakers and my Dell's sound card is disabled at the moment. Will I need to upgrade my sound card to use the MIDI?

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    MIDI has nothing to do with sound. MIDI is just for controlling the things that make or process the sounds. It's a light switch, not a light.

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    So the existing PC sound card I have should be fine? Thanks!

8. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    No; you will keep using your UX2 in conjunction with the USB interface; they aren't mutually exclusive.

9. No.

As Bongo said, Midi is a protocol for commands. arThey are sent to a sequencing software or synthesizer and then transform to sound. The thing is that midi requires a special interface to interact with a computer, as mentioned before you can buy a Midi to usb interface really cheap.

10. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Right, yeah, I mean, the sound card doesn't matter as long as I get the USB interface connector? (Roland UM-One, for example)

11. DuraMorte

DuraMorte

Mar 3, 2011
    No, your internal soundcard is being replaced by the the UX2.
    MIDI is not audio. MIDI is a trigger; a digital stream of note on and note off messages that control a synthesizer, which creates the actual sound. That synth could be a synthesizer, or a drum sampler (as in your case).
    Nowhere in that equation is your PC's internal soundcard; that's because it has nothing to do with MIDI.

12. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I use MIDI frequently (drums, piano, B3, Rhodes, banjo, synths, etc.) and have often found it a difficult concept for people to grasp until they get in and start using it on a regular basis.

I only bring it up so that you don't get discouraged. It's a great tool once you wrap your head around it.

13. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    thanks for the help, everyone-

UPDATE: I got the MIDI working through the HD1 drums with a Roland UM1 into Sonor 8.5. I'm using EZ Drummer

A problem I'm having with is there is a nasty lag, almost a whole beat after I hit any of the controllers the sound is heard. Is it my sound card? I'm running an older Dell laptop but it has worked great for everything else...

Any remedies?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated - I can't seem to find any info about lagging other than "get a new computer"

14. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Sep 14, 2010
    yep its usually your sound card.

you might have the wrong output device selected in your plugin.

or the wrong selected midi input output/ device in your plugin or daw

15. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Derp. So I guess I had to switch the driver (in Sonar) from WDM to AISO - didn't have to install anything though.

Anyways, the MIDI is sync'd perfectly with the controller, AND I'm now able to record Line 1 & 2 on separate channels...I couldn't do before. I can actually record a trio live now (instrumentally). That's pretty sweet!

Killing two birds with one stone - YEAH!

Thanks for all the help, guys!

:bassist::bassist::bassist: