noob needs advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rdcalab, Feb 12, 2005.

1. rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    hey everyone. i'm thinking of adding a 15 or 18 to my rig. (walkabout-ashdown mag410) i can't spend too much. i have been looking at steelsound. they seem to have some good deals there. i'm not really concerned w/ brand names or super duper studio tone, i just want to feel a little more thump and run @4 ohms. would one of these cabs loaded w/ a madison be a waste of time?? thx for the help..
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have played through these cabs on multiple occasions. In my experience, they were nothing more than good quality car stereo speakers. Since you don't care much about how they will sound, you would probably be happy with one. Just remember that you aren't going to have that thunderous bottom end you are used to hearing when you go to a club. The results you are hoping for, and are picturing in your mind/ears, come from good quality speakers and cabs, not the ones you are interested in.

This is only my personal experience. I am not condemning the product line in general.

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    How cheap are the Madisons? Because the 1x15 Avatar is only $249 plus shipping.... and many of us can vouch for that one....

If you're thinking of spending anywhere near $200 for that Madison, I think I'd streeetch to the Avatar....
  4. rdcalab

Jan 10, 2005
    San Diego
    price is $149 for the cab (empty). they throw in the 18" mad. warrior for free.. :eyebrow:

while i'm not super critical about tone,(i play loud rock music) i certainly don't want to waste $$ for Sh&ts and giggles. The rig sounds great now, just missing a little bottom to be felt not necessarily heard. Thx again guys..
  5. heheh I have a interesting suggestion, take a look at a used PA sub. I hooked a 2x15 bose PA sub up to my 2x10 hatke combo last year (now leaving me for a ampeg pre, qsc power amp and schroeder 1212 WOOOHOOO!!!). I was using it in a very large gymnasium and the thing seriously sounded like it could blow through the cinder block wall. made you want to pee your pants. sorry just thought it was a cool experience....

but yeah check out PA subs...