Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob needs help building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tauchen67, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tauchen67

tauchen67

Apr 17, 2004
    HI everybody!!
    i was sent here by a guy from www.splbassx.com it is a car audio message board(i am into loud car audio especially boomy bass) anyways i have lots of experience building boxes for by car stereo. i would like to make a simple cab that i can practice and play small gigs with. my guitarist has a very loud line 6 amp and is constatly drowning me out(bastard!!!). i have plenty of woodworking experience my problem is that i know little about the differences between the two in terms of equipment. i play mostly rock on a 4 string bass(i am a noob at playing too) i was thinking a ported 10 maybe 12 sealed or ported cause i want a little bit of boom cause i like to feel it as well as hear it. i use winisd pro. i guess my question is what driver and amp setup would you recomend. i dont have a lot of cash few 100 maybe. any info would be great. i was thinking just for fun if i go sealed i could do some fiberglass too to get some cool curves(thats the car audio talking). thanks
    josh :help:

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    for a cheap head, Behringer 300W or a used Peavey.

for a speaker, Eminence Delta 12 most likely

3. tauchen67

tauchen67

Apr 17, 2004
    where would you guys recomend getting equipment online?

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would stray away from Behringer, you get what you pay for. Some people are really happy with them, and some are totally disgusted with them. Do a search on here and you can find that Behringer gear has been discussed at length.

I've owned quite a bit of peavey gear, and I've noticed that some of their equipment is built quite well and can take a beating and keep on trucking, while some falls short.

As for where you can get some of the supplies online, I would say if you are looking for Eminence speakers, I would go through Dave at Avatar, probably the best bet with the lowest prices.

peace
    -Ben