1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob needs help building a cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tauchen67, Apr 17, 2004.

1. tauchen67

tauchen67

Apr 17, 2004
    HI everybody!!
    i was sent here by a guy from www.splbassx.com it is a car audio message board(i am into loud car audio especially boomy bass) anyways i have lots of experience building boxes for by car stereo. i would like to make a simple cab that i can practice and play small gigs with. my guitarist has a very loud line 6 amp and is constatly drowning me out(bastard!!!). i have plenty of woodworking experience my problem is that i know little about the differences between the two in terms of equipment. i play mostly rock on a 4 string bass(i am a noob at playing too) i was thinking a ported 10 maybe 12 sealed or ported cause i want a little bit of boom cause i like to feel it as well as hear it. i use winisd pro. i guess my question is what driver and amp setup would you recomend. i dont have a lot of cash few 100 maybe. any info would be great. i was thinking just for fun if i go sealed i could do some fiberglass too to get some cool curves(thats the car audio talking). thanks
    josh :help:

2. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    for a cheap head, Behringer 300W or a used Peavey.

for a speaker, Eminence Delta 12 most likely

3. tauchen67

tauchen67

Apr 17, 2004
    where would you guys recomend getting equipment online?

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I would stray away from Behringer, you get what you pay for. Some people are really happy with them, and some are totally disgusted with them. Do a search on here and you can find that Behringer gear has been discussed at length.

I've owned quite a bit of peavey gear, and I've noticed that some of their equipment is built quite well and can take a beating and keep on trucking, while some falls short.

As for where you can get some of the supplies online, I would say if you are looking for Eminence speakers, I would go through Dave at Avatar, probably the best bet with the lowest prices.

peace
    -Ben