Noob needs help really badly regarding Funk sound

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fe11atio, Mar 4, 2006.

1. fe11atio

Jan 30, 2006
    Hi, I've just started playing bass about a eight months and I have a problem that is holding me back. Every time I see a bass player pressing a string againts the freatboard or sliding his fingers across the freatboard, the bass makes that sound like a growl that I can't describe but is the trademark of Funk music like a "huuum!!" or something like that,too bad that i can't put sounds into words, but I think that is the best way I can describe it. I tried for months to get that sound with no results. I think is something to do with my bass, I have a Squier affinity bass, maybe getting something more sonically versatile would help. I thought it was a pedal but I saw a guy in guitar center last week trying a new bass and he did not have any pedals. I was too shy to ask him about it. That 's why a I'm asking if you guys who are more experienced than I 'm can help me regarding this.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Lots of things will factor into "the funk sound".....or any other sound I might add. Pedals, pickups, amp, even the wood of your bass and fretboard. One of the biggest, and probably most overlooked (especially to new bassist's) changes to be made are the strings. I'm a funk player, and I was also looking for a different sound a while back. I read a lot in the "Strings" forum here on TalkBass and wound up changing from using Bass boomers to DR lo-riders...haven't looked back since (didn't hurt that I was after Marcus Miller's tone and those are the strings he uses, btw :D )
  3. are u thinking about a slide on the e-string? if that's what you're wanna do, just slide your finger up and down on the fretboard, just try and you'l nail it soon. if that's whay you asked about.
  4. ignignok

Dec 25, 2005
    Are you talking about a slide? Just fret and note and slide your finger up a few frets, whithout letting off the string.

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think he's talkin' about tone since he also mentions "pressing a string against the fretboard", but yeah if it's just the slide you're talking about, then just press the string on a fret, pluck that string, and then slide up and then back on the fretboard. Basically, the slide up should be fast and then your fretted hand needs to abruptly "bounce" (as if it hit something) and then go back down the board much more slowly....still pressing the string, of course. If it's about a specific tone, then see my previous post.....
  6. Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    I agree about the strings part, I use almost exclusively steel strings, because they give such a funky slap sound, or cluncky(bad soundin adjective, but I like it) and hard sound finger sound.
  7. mothmonsterman

Feb 8, 2006
    DR strings, but there are alot more factors, like cutting your mids a bit.
  8. Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    Assemble alot of funk bass recordings, learn every note. It's as simple and as hard as that. Maybe get a teacher if you want to cut the learning curve. Sorry, no short cuts to shedding.
  9. Another thought about 'growl' that I did not see discussed here, is the amp itself. I learned that a tube amp, when nice and warm, will give your notes a nice growl when you dig in with your right hand. You could look into a tube emulator or one of those DI boxes designed to give you that 'tube' sound.

10. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Naw, what he's talking about can be done on any bass, with any strings. and GSPLBASSDC just gave a real good description of how to do it.
  11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    It's probably a slide, and to the original poster you just have to practice it over and over. You've only been playing a few months so think of you playing as being a baby, at a few months old a baby can only do a few things but as the baby gets older and becomes a toddler, teenager, adult things change. Keep practicing and playing as much as possible and things will get better.