1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob Needs Help w/Strings, Bridge

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bunky1998, Feb 6, 2014.

1. bunky1998

bunky1998

Mar 28, 2009
    Help! I'm a bass playing noob in need some advice.

I decided to switch from round wounds to D'Addario half-rounds in hopes of cutting down on string squeak. I removed old E string and found (much to my dismay) that the new E string won't fit through string hole in bridge. It appears old E string is a 100, whereas new E string is a 105.

Ouch.

Is it possible to rout out the string hole to fit new E string? I'm sort of a noob on both cases: playing and working on my bass. I figured I'd ask before I wreak havoc on the instrument and make things worse.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JLS

JLS Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
  3. bunky1998

bunky1998

Mar 28, 2009
    Thank you so much, I think I can handle this repair seeing that power tools aren't involved.

4. pfox14

pfox14

Dec 22, 2013
    WOW, we're talking a difference of 5/1000ths of an inch and it won't fit? I find that very hard to believe.

5. bunky1998

bunky1998

Mar 28, 2009
    Yeah, crazy but true. The half-rounds will go thru the hole until you get 2" from the end. Then the string gets much fatter.