Noob on pedal effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by summeralligator, Mar 12, 2018.

1. summeralligator

summeralligator

Jan 14, 2018
    Argentina
    Hi again! this time i'm writin' cause i'm a noob on pedal effects. I ain't got any so i want to know which one is essential to improve the sound for motown/blues style.

Thank you all!

2. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    P bass....cab with no tweeter....flats....maybe a simple EQ or a transparent light overdrive.

3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    What’s wrong with your current sound?

saabfender likes this.
  4. saabfender

saabfender Inactive

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    I'd look into a compressor.

5. summeralligator

summeralligator

Jan 14, 2018
    Argentina
    I have a Hartke HD150 Combo and i can't find the right sound, i think my room makes the sound "muddy" i mean that isn't clear, my other problem is that i can't understand graphic EQ very well.. I use jazz with flats

6. summeralligator

summeralligator

Jan 14, 2018
    Argentina
    Cab with no tweeter? Why?

7. Newbie as well - just picked up a used compressor (Boss LMB-3). Play in 200 seat room, bass gets lost or muddy very easily. Usually quieter sets, acoustic, and some drums. Playing old p-bass (peavy fury) and Acoustic bass combo. Thinking I just need compression and good eq?

8. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    Compression is good but a high pass filter can be very useful. Rolls off the very low that can turn to mud

9. Thanks jthisdell - can I get similar result w quality eq?

10. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    High Pass Filter (HPF) and Low Pass Filter (LPF) Mega Thread

This thread discusses low and high pass filters. EQ works similarly but not exactly. A good high pass filter rolls off the lows at a higher rate (steeper slope if you will) and the point where that roll off can usually be adjusted. With a hpf you can roll off the lows you don't need but then add bass you want. Kind of counter intuitive but it works and is used extensively in live sound and studio applications.

As to graphic eq, start with everything flat including bass, mid, treble tone controls. Adjust one slider up partway, play and see how it sounds. Then slide to cut partway and repeat. Set it back to flat and go to the next one. The idea is to get a feel forwhat each freq does. Then think about what made each freq range sound better. Start with the lows, adjust the first slider to suit, go to the next, etc, etc. If you have graphic eq and bass, mid, treble tone controls I would go adjust the graphic first then the tone controls. Avoid cranking both.

And yes, some rooms just sound muddy or accentuate certain freq's. In that case using the graphic to cut certain freq's can be helpful. But always best to work with what you have and understand how controls work together before buying something else. Compressors can be useful but often make things sound "thicker" and if muddiness is an issue they won't help that and could make it worse. Good luck.

11. I like cabs with no tweeters. I usually roll off the treble too. Vintage sounding I think.

12. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    The Hartke HD150 is a 150 watt 1x15 speaker combo. I imagine the muddy sound is from the 15” speaker design. And while it’s not always true that a 15” speaker is muddy, I believe that is what is happening in this situation.

I think the solution is to explore 1x12, 2x12, or 4x10 cabinets.

EQ is effective at cutting unwanted frequencies, but it’s not effective at adding frequencies that aren’t there in a speaker cabinet. And while at EQ cut around 40-120hz could reduce muddiness, I imagine what you’ll find lacking is that your cabinet does not contain the fullness of sound in the upper mid range that you may have in your mind.

Compression can reduce high frequencies, bringing down low frequencies, thus making the higher frequencies appear louder, but again, the speaker cabinet needs to be able to reproduce those frequencies.

I would achieve the best sound possible with a bass/amp/cabinet setup before exploring effects. I will save you money and save you headaches in the long run.

The tweeter isn’t your issue. Tweeters don’t cause muddy sounds.

A jazz isn’t typically muddy. I don’t think the bass is a problem either.

13. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds

Oct 7, 2016
    Not sure if you’re still following this. But I tried the Hartke combo today. Try this amp setting. It’s what I’d use if I played this combo.

69A58394-CA5C-4229-8C23-C411E2098939.jpeg

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021