1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob post: I think it's beautiful! (SX content)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Chicago Al, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    I mean the color of my new (and first) bass, an SX JB-62C. Of course the moody teenager trying to find the bassline to a Decemberists song is gorgeous...that's my daughter.

Actually I wanted the Vintage White SX as that would have matched my '82 Strat. But that one sold out so the green kinda jumped out at me. The color reminds me of cars that were still around, just barely, when I was a kid. With the white guard it would go nicely with a two-tone Edsel!

As this is my first bass I don't have a lot to compare it to, but the frets seem nicely finished and intonation is good. Action is a bit high so I'll be working on that. There are some flaws in the finish but for $150 shipped I don't care. It sounds okay as far as I can tell, running it at low volume through my Fender Blues Jr. The pickups needed some height adjustment....just like a Strat. When the treble's potted up with either pickup alone, it gets noisy...just like a Strat. Heck, it feels just like an oversize Strat!

Next to come is a gig bag and at some point maybe a practice amp, hopefully a used Minx or something like that. A full rig can wait until someone wants me to play with them.

As a guitar player for 30 years on and off (mostly off!) I am not a complete beginner, and in the last few days I've had a lot of fun trying to cop lines from Rick Suchow's Jamerson tracks, and youtube gems like Patrice Rushen's 'Forget Me Nots,' Jamiroquai's 'Runaway' and 'Space Cowboy,' etc. Not to mention 'jamersonshook' who seems to have put up every funky bassline ever recorded. The generosity of people who put that up to share just boggles the mind--what a great learning tool.

I've learned a lot from lurking here the last several weeks and I'll be doing a lot more. At some point I hope to make a contribution myself. Thanks everybody!

Attached Files:

2. FPS

FPS

Dec 17, 2006
    Ohio
    Nice bass, she looks serious...you better watch out!

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    you just did. welcome, and good luck!

4. I *love* that color!!!

5. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    i love green basses, i wish fender still used seafoam green regularly.

6. 98dvl

98dvl

Jan 31, 2002
    USA
    The Rondo website could really use a makeover... The pictures on there don't do the gear they sell justice.

I never liked the look of the green color on their website, but now I think differently.

I have a vintage white PJ SX that looks better in person than the one on the website as well.

My buddy just picked up an Agile guitar from them and the thing is beautiful (I'll be getting one too once tax refund comes in!).

Kurt really should have a "user" section on the webpage where people send in their own pictures of their guitars, because the pictures on the site just don't give the greatest impression.

Beautiful bass!

7. Screw that... Kurt just needs a new shipment of 5-stringers!!!! :D

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Playing music, having fun, learning things.
    Sounds pretty darned good to me.
    With family - even better. :D

9. How old is she? That thing dwarfs her.

And yeah, it'd be nice to have better pictures on the Rondo site, but at least there's a good chance that when your bass shows up, it'll look even better than you thought.

10. Essthreetee

Essthreetee

Aug 19, 2007
    Visalia, CA
    Yeah, it is always cool learning with family. My 7yo is learning how to play the guitar because she saw me learning how to play the bass...even though I pushed her towards a bass, she went to the acoustic guitar...either way...nice choice, and enjoy. I know I enjoy mine.

11. Chicago Al

Chicago Al

Jan 30, 2008
    Thanks for the replies guys. The bass's color is actually darker and funkier than the pic shows, which looks more surf green. Need to tweak it in P-shop. Daughter is a petite 14, so the parlor guitar she usually plays it is a better fit. She does like the bass though.

As far as the bass: the action seemed high when I first got it but I would swear it's gotten higher over this weekend. It would seem contradictory to buy a cheap bass then pay regular shop rate for a setup, and I'm reasonably handy. Time to learn about bass setup. I'll be using the very helpful stickies in the setup section of this site. Wish me luck!

ps: If I'd known how much fun bass is I'd have taken it up years ago!