Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob question about "ringing"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rdnzl@comcast.n, Oct 30, 2005.

1. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    Complete newbie here......

When I play, I get a ringing from the strings, besides the one I am playing. Is it proper technique to have to mute them so they don't do that, or is my set-up incorrect. It is an Ibanez SRX300 played through a Crate BT100. Are my pickups too sensitive?

Obviously I have a long way to go.........

2. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
    This is what people are usually referring to when they talk about muting strings. If you like they way they ring (these are called sympathetic vibrations) then let them ring. Most players, however mute these strings with either their thumb, free fingers (on either hand) or part of their palm. Figure out what works best for you, but if you find that it's holding back some other part of your playing, don't hesitate to try another approach. I'm sure that if you do a search for "muting" you'll find lots of helpful ideas.

Nothing is wrong with your setup, and generally, better basses will have more sympathetic vibrations than cheaper basses.

P.S. Fill out your profile.

3. I tend to do most of the muting with left hand. But whatever works for you is fine.

Randy

4. rdnzl@comcast.n

rdnzl@comcast.n

Oct 30, 2005
    WA
    I figured it had to be technique. I really like my sound so far.

The SRX300 seems to be set up pretty "right".

The BT100 is a good sounding amp. I've read where a some people like to bash them, but I'm really happy with the sounds. I'll probably never be anything more than a recreational player. I've taken up music after a 30 year hiatus....I used to be a mediocre keyboard player, and woodwind musician.

Strings are new to me.

5. ii7-V7

ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    You can research the "Floating thumb" technique. This will eliminate all of your open strings from ringing and its not very hard, though it is a new way of approaching your right hand style.