Noob Question [Beginner Bass]

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fludane, Nov 28, 2002.

1. I want to start learning how to play bass guitar. First thing to do is to buy the bass guitar. However, I do not know what bass guitar I should get :confused: . If some of you ask what kind of bassist I would like to be (playing style) the answer would be:
    -Concrete example of bassist:
    - Red Hot Chili Pepper's bassist
    - Also No Doubt's bassist

Those are the kind of style I want to be able to play. So please do help me in choosing the right bass guitar. Please also provide the brand and model name. Thanks guys
  2. if u want to go with funk-rock, start slow. it requires great skill(something i as a month old bassist do not have yet). i reccomend a fender presicion or an ibanez sound gear. they are compatible with almost any style and it would not be hard to change your style because of the instrument's wide array of tones etc.

start out with one of those basses and get.....mmm...i'd say a 15 watt amp, and you'll be on your way.

start with songs by ac/dc. they are easy to play and are great songs that were recommended by my teachers and mentor. "hells bells" as well as "tnt" are particular favorites of mine.

learn how to follow tablature then you can get the music right off of this site. good luck;)
  3. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Welcome to TalkBass, fludane! :)

As a suggestion, you might like to say what price range you're looking at for your first bass, this will help people in giving you good suggestions, and save you time looking for basses. For example if you're looking to spend about $400, people won't bother to suggest you start looking at Warwicks :) But they might suggest you look at some MIM Fender Precision basses, or whatever...

Anyhow, there seem to be a lot of Flea (bassist in the Chilli Peppers) fans on TalkBass, and there'll probably be one along soon to tell you exactly what bass he plays :)
  4. PJR

Jun 20, 2001
    N.E. PA
    You'll get many different opinions on what you should have......

I would suggest getting out to the stores and jammin' on as many basses you can get your mitts on....

Have fun :) ......welcome to Bassdom !!

5. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Fender Mexico (Mim) Jazz or Precision (you choose) bought secondhand from a shop (cheaper than new but with limited backup-check first) after trying a few and get the one that you like playing.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Fludane, thats a pretty good description of how you would like to play without knowing really how to play yet, I mean that in a good way. When I first started I just wanted to play and be great... at least you have some direction

Now, i am not sure of your price range but I am assuming it is not a large amount, I guess you need an amp also..

MIM fender or a used MTD Kingston can be had for less than $375 (the fender will be less)

And essex bass will cost you about $119... They have gotten high praisehere at TB

Now amps. some people will say get a small practice amp.. but you will grow out of that really soon.. I suggest getting a Peavey TKO or TNT.. they are heavy, but they are great amps for the $
  7. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

I started on an ibanez basspak. I payed $260 for mine but now they go for around $300. They come with everything you need: bass, amp, cord, strap, gig bag, tuner, and a worhthless instructional video. Fender, hartke, and couple of other companies make one. Just shop around.
  8. Scott Lynch

Scott Lynch Supporting Member

These are all good choices as well, but you need the money. I would also suggest getting something more upscale if you had the money.
  9. TOOTHY999

Sep 8, 2002
    You might want to check out music go round or used places like that, or ask your neighbor if he has one. If the pickups work and it holds at least 4 strings, its good to learn on.

And DONT buy fender picks :mad:
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well I've seen some strange suggestions, but this just struck me!!

So - I imagine somebody knocking on their neighbour's front door : large imposing middle-aged woman appears. Yes - what can I do for you?

Have you got any bass guitars for sale?

You either get the door slammed in your face or a tirade of abuse - "do I look like an idiot, are you some kind of pervert or something, what are you really up to?? Are you trying to rob me - I've heard about people like you coming along to people's houses with some dumb story and then robbing them....." !!

etc etc etc :D
  11. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Go to a music store and play every bass that is in your price range. Decide which one feels the best and sounds the best to you. Avoid buying on looks until you have those two requirements met. That will be the bass that you want. Then play that bass through a variety of amplifiers that are also in your price range. That should help you determine what is going to work best for you.

I would look at Fender MIM (Made in Mexico) Precision or Fender MIM Jazz, some of the Squires, Essex, Yamaha, and Ibanez.

Peavey makes affordable amps as do Fender, Crate, and Traynor. You can always trade or upgrade later on when you have more cash.

Good Luck,

12. Essex. If you can wait, they should have 2003 models in soon, which are even better. Plus, if you go Essex, you should be able to spend more on an amp.
  13. I have three choices of bass guitars, help me choose one, here they are:
  14. Of those three, go for the Yamaha.
  15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't go with any of those - I would prefer the MIM Jazz over all three.

Although you could wait for more advice from the guy whose current setup is a box with rubber bands on it! ;)
  16. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Which one do you like the best? Does one sound better or feel better than the others to you? That is the one you should choose.

17. Why not? The standard Medium-thickness Fender picks are all I've ever used. Nothing wrong with them.
  18. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    Squier Bass Pack- Squier P Bass, Fender 15 watt amp, Strap, Cord, Instructional Video, Strap, Tuner. The package is pretty decent. I got it as my first bass... I still have all of it.

Ibanez Pack- Ibanez GSR 100 or 200 bass, Ibanez 10w amp, Cord, Tuner, Strap, video. The bass in this package is better... and i believe the whole package is cheaper than the squire. I play the GSR200 and I can get the nice red hot chili peppers thump/pop sound out of it, I can get the Incubus lows, the Greenday mids, the Blink182 pick thump sound.... It is a great bass for a beginner.
  19. well I have played the yamaha and it wasn't bad for the money...............but.........

I mostly play higher end stuff now (hence the name).
  20. Yup.

For funk, you can't go wrong with a precision or jazz bass.