1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob Question. Hoping someone will be kind enough to indulge me.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassinplace, Oct 29, 2018.

1. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Not a noob to bass playing, but I've been playing out of the same 350 combo for the past 10+ years and have done little to no research on gear in that time. But, I finally wanted to upgrade, so I got the Mark Bass Little Mark Tube 800. I was just wondering if anyone else here has one who could give me a quick rundown on the controls. It came new out of the box with no description whatsoever. Any help is much appreciated. :)

2. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2007
    Massachusetts, USA
    Some microphones require 48 volt "phantom power" for proper operation. The phantom switch allows you to use this type of microphone with your Markbass. If you play electric bass only, then you would probably never use this feature. But very useful for acoustic bassists who use that type of mic.

Phantom power - Wikipedia

bassinplace and HaphAsSard like this.
  4. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    VLF means "very low frequencies", and it's not a Markbass control.

VLE stands for "vintage loudspeaker emulation" and is a treble cut.
    VPF = "variable pre-shape filter", basically a contour knob: scoops (low-)mids while it boosts treble and bass.

Here they are, in pedal form:
    MARKBASS | Products | Super Booster

bassinplace likes this.
  5. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Try some of those Youtube reviews... might be a good demonstration hiding there :)

bassinplace likes this.
  6. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Yeah, I just though of that. Don't know why I didn't think of it before. There's a few on there. I saved them and will watch later. Thanks for the pointers, everyone! :)

7. keyboardguy

keyboardguy Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Here:

bassinplace and mikewalker like this.
  8. The VLE and VPF are mostly responsible for people not liking MarkBass, aside from the colour schemes. It is safe to turn them fully anticlockwise to the 'off' position.

9. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I don't use VPF/contour/enhance knobs, since the 90s, I like mids now.
    The VLE on the Markbass comes in handy on my CMD121P as a sort-of "tweeter level control" since the combo's speaker cab has no control for this.

bassinplace and john m like this.
  10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    The key too using VLE and VPF is to remember a little goes a long way. Just a touch of VLE high cut is all I use.

bassinplace and john m like this.
  11. Well, looks you've got a pre gain and a post gain. That's means input strength, and pre amp strength before the power section. That's pretty cool. Mid low, means whatever frequency that is set at, boots or cuts that. Mid high, means the same. Mix, I'm thinking, is the fx loop. And everything else is pretty straight up. Looks like a nice amp. Good score. Get the manual, which someone posted for you already, plug in, and check it out. Should be good.

bassinplace likes this.
  12. chris_b

chris_b

Jun 2, 2007
    I got my best sound out of an LM2 with both filters off. That is fully anti-clockwise.

bassinplace likes this.
  13. Holdsg

Holdsg I should be practicing Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    It's been at least 8 years, but when I once owned a LM tube 500, I used VLE as the "P bass" sound control, and VPF as the "jazz bass" sound control. Depending on the tone I was after, and bass I was using at the time.

bassinplace and mikewalker like this.
  14. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    True. Mine is usually set around 10-11 o' clock to make the amp have just the right amount of tweeter. The EQ controls are usually flat with small adjustments made for the room or bass.

bassinplace and Medicine Man like this.
  15. bassinplace

bassinplace

Dec 1, 2008
    Well, I've played around with it a bit. Much different than the old Rumble 350 I've had for the past 8 years. I can really sculpt with this thing! Lots of options!