1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob question: Is there a typical string used for finger funk?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by terribilino, Mar 30, 2009.

1. terribilino

terribilino

Nov 22, 2008
    I'm just getting back into bass after 20 years, and I find that whenever I try anything funky on the G string, it feels like I'm playing a sitar. The strings on my bass are d'Addario roundwounds (EXL190 Long Scale 40-100). Is a heavier gauge generally used for finger funk, and a lighter for slap?

Thanks!

2. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    Everyone likes something different for slap, some say get the heaviest strings you can, others go light. Myself, I find it easier to use light gauge strings. When I was playing in a funk band I used to mix and match. I would use a lighter gauge E,A and a "normal" D and a fat G (a .50 usually). You used to be able to get a .55 from Dean Markley. Also try different settings on your amp. I found that by increasing the highs and lows and dipping the low mids a bit made it easier to get that nice bite while not sacrificing bottom end.
    Hope this helps.

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I use medium gauge strings for both and just EQ a bit different, but that's just me.

Though they aren't ideal for slapping, for finger funk you may want to try a set of flats.

For slap, I personally like medium gauge DR Hi-Beams, though any fairly bright string will work well, assuming you're looking for a "modern" slap tone.

Hope that helps.

4. Ossaris

Ossaris

Mar 2, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    That's so cool! I wish my bass felt like a sitar... Flea can make his bass sound like a Sitar. (Sorry for not being too helpful):bag: