1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob question: Matching ohms, wattage.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Usman408, Apr 26, 2010.

1. Usman408

Usman408

Apr 26, 2010
    Hi I'm new to this site and bass!:hyper:

I am in the process of collecting my first gear. I'm trying to get quality stuff at decent prices with the eventual goal of gigging in mind. So far I have:

The guitar (Fender Jazz Bass Deluxe V)
    The head (Ampeg SVT-3 PRO, 450w @4 ohms)

I am looking for a speaker cab and am looking into an Acme Low B-2....though it seems like it cant handle that much wattage at 4 ohms, unless this doesnt matter which is the reason for my question.....does the cabinet only draw what it needs from the amp or does the amp having more wattage than the cab can handle have a detrimental effect?

Acme Low B-2 Power handing (off website)
    350 Watts RMS continuous
    300 Watts sine wave @ 30.87 H

2. Im no expert but the Low B2 gives the option of 4 or 8 ohms. I would go 8 to allow for future expansion and your head puts out 275 watts at 8 ohms so you would be fine at that point. When your ready to gig you can add another 8 ohm cab and use the full 450 watts.
    You could blow speakers if you pump too much power to them but if you're just starting you probably wont use the full 450 watts to begin with.
    thats just my take on it though...

3. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    yea I think the 8 ohm would be best for power and expandability by adding another 8 ohm later if you want.

You would be okay with a 4 ohm as long as you don't run it on 11.
    but can't run another cab with it that way.

2-8 ohm cabs ran on one amp = 4 ohms
    2-4 ohm cabs on one amp = 2 Ohms (will burn up amp if minimum load on amp is 4 ohms)

4. Usman408

Usman408

Apr 26, 2010
    Thanks for the info!