1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob question - might sound dumb..

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Johnny5, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I was a guitar player for 8 years, switched to bass 2 years ago, lovin it of course.
    I'm in the market for something more than 220w, that's currently what my Ampeg BA210 combo is "pushing." I enjoy the Ampeg sound and would like to stick with, or get something very similiar in tone. Here's my concern -
    I've done some research and come across 2 heads that are equal in power, made by the same manufacturer, but quite different in price - the B2RE and SVT450H heads by Ampeg. They'll both give me the sound I'm after, both have more than a 3 band EQ, both solid state, but the SVT is like 50% more expensive. Why? I'm planning on playing through seperate 210 and 115 cabs. Will this make a difference?
    Thanks in advance.

2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    I would recommend a used SVT 3 Pro. Thier plenty powerful as long as you stay away from the "Low" button. I played one thru 2 of the Ampeg 115's and it was actually pretty nasty... good enough for me to second guess my Ashdown ABM 500 and Schroeder....plus the used market is flooded with them....

and IMHO, skip the 210.......