1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob question SRM450'sv2 + SRM1801

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by HiltonHeadEd, May 10, 2011.

1. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    This is my set up. I have a jam band and we play small to medium clubs.

We are using a mixer with no effects.

Do I need a crossover?

Which compression would be adequate?

Which EQ would be adequate?

Vocal Effects would be adequate?

anything else needed for a small front of house system? Thanks

2. Nice setup... I've always liked the powered Mackies.

Crossover? No need - the sub has a low pass filter on its input, and there are both high pass and full range outs so you can run mixer -> sub -> highpacks as-is.

Compressor? Not a must have, but can help make drums punchy (which you may not be reenforcing in a small / medium club) and smooth out vocals if the dynamics are all over the place.

EQ? Probably can get by with the channel EQs on your mixer.

Vocal effects? Not entirely necessary, but light splash of delay or reverb can literally make miracles happen. TC Electronics and Lexicon make some affordable units.

3. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    Why thankya much! Thats good enough for me.

So I go Mixer Left Out>SUB>chain up to SRM450 : Then Mixer Right Out>2nd SRM450?

And the rest is magic?

4. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    What mixer are you using? The 1801 has 2 highpass outs so you would want to use one for each 450. If you bypass the sub on the right side you would be getting low frequencies in the right side 450.

5. Ed, to clarify this, bypassing the sub on the right side would give that 450 the full range output from the right channel of mixer. The left 450 would get either a full range or high pass signal depending on which of the outputs you chained out from the 1801 with. Type of mixer won't affect this.

6. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    yep makes sense.... both R/L outs need to go through the sub. And from there, to each speaker so the right freqs go to the right places. Thanks, its my first sub obv.

7. modulusman

modulusman Banned

Jan 18, 2004
    montana
    True but his mixer could have a mono out so he wouldn't need to use the left and right outputs

8. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    L/R from mixer to L/R in on 1801
    L Hp thru to L srm450
    R Hp thru to R srm450

If mono out of mixer
    Into 1801 R or L in
    Same Hp out to one srm450
    Jump/thru jack on srm450 to second srm450

9. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    Yep they just arrived.... AND WOW!!!! Now my question is...

Is it ok to put all this through?
    2 over head drum mics
    Bass Drum mic
    Snare mic
    Keys - DI
    Bass - DI
    Guitar - mic
    vocal
    vocal
    vocal

Im sure there is also a question of need. We all have plenty of headroom with our instruments for small clubs but I want to make use of the sub too!!!!! Thanks you guys are awesome.

10. fokof

fokof One day ,I'll be in the future

Mar 16, 2007
    Here
    Be sure to try one of your sub + one top as a bass amp one day.

You're gonna be hooked. (like I am)

11. HiltonHeadEd

HiltonHeadEd

Apr 25, 2011
    LOL, I tried running my bass via DI to board. Very softly for a bit, then a little umph, then I brought the house down!!!!! Love it....