Dismiss Notice

Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, get alerts, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob Question to live amp setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Luke S Mouse, Mar 22, 2014.

1. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    Okay folks, I'm going to be playing my first gig with my bass and drums project in a few weeks and have a question on how I set up my amp. In rehearsal, I typically have my settings dialed pretty well in, with my volume all the way up, (100 watt amp, 50 watt head Acoustic Amp Mini Stack) however I noticed that guitar players cut a hole in the front of the speaker grill and put a microphone in that hole. Is that applicable to bass amp setup?

That's all I was wondering.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You don't need to cut a hole in your grillcloth to mic an amp! Grillcloth is acoustically transparent, and doesn't affect tone at all.

Anyway, some bassists mic their amps, some bassists use a DI, some do both. All a matter of preference. But if you mic a bass amp, I recommend using a mic that reproduces low frequencies well and has relatively flat response, so stay away from kick drum mics. The AKG P2 is a cheapo that's been getting a lot of love as a bass cab mic on here.

3. Register_To_Disable

4. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse

Jun 5, 2009
    Texas
    Disclosures:
    Yes, this douchebag just posted again
    Thanks man!
    Now I got an idea of what to do and all. Much better than going in blind.