Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Noob questions about a Schecter C-5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shuvool, Jul 9, 2004.

1. shuvool

shuvool

Jul 9, 2004
    Saint Marys, GA
    I was just wondering if anyone here has any experience with a Schecter C-5. I bought one fairly recently, and it's my first 5 string...second bass ever. I love the sound that comes out of it (considering my 4 string is a Silvertone, that's probably no surprise). Anywho, I was wondering how to get rid of the clicking sound that happens when I play the B and the E strings. I've tried moving the sliders up and down the bridge, which a guitarist that I work with suggested, and that did next to nothing. I was thinking that maybe it's the truss rod needing to slightly be adjusted, but A: the clicking is only when I play the lowest (sounding) 6 or so frets, and B: I have no clue where the truss rod adjustment is done on this thing. I know I seem like a total noob, but then again I am. Also, while asking about stuff on this bass that I have no clue about, I was wondering about the strings: There was a tag on the bass when I bougt it that said it was equipped with Elixir strings, which it is, and on the other side it said I could only use Elixir strings...other strings would damage my frets...is this true? I like the strings, but they're like nearly 60 bucks a set. Well, sorry about the long post, and thanks in advance for the input.

2. Well, just so you know, the sliders are called saddles, but that doesn't sound like the problem here. However, just to make sure you know, there are two ways to move the saddles to. You can move them away and toward the neck, which adjusts the string lenght for setting intonation, and/or you can move them away or towards the bridge, which adjust the string height some for setting your action, which is what your guitarist buddy was talking about.

What it sounds like to me though, is a problem with technique. Don't take offense, because I have the same problem. :p Deal is, the two lowest strings you're referring to are the loosest and generate the most movement. Therefore, if you play them very hard (which usually comes from trying to play too fast), you're gonna knock them into the freatboard or pickups. I'm having a big problem with this myself. What I'm doing, is trying to develop a softer touch. When I play softer, I don't have that problem, so I know it's me and not my setup. Try playing a few notes slowly and a little softer than you usually would, if the click isn't there anymore, then it's likely you're your own worst enemy in this situation.

If you try it softer though, and the cllick is still there, you could try raising the strings a bit, as your guitar bud suggested. I hate that though, because the more you raise the strings, the harder it gets to fret the notes. So, definitely try to see if playing softer is your problem first. Plus, if you aren't careful and knowledgeable, messing with your setup too much, will end up throwing everything out of whack and making your bass unplayable. Then you'll have to go dish out some cash to get it set back up to being playable. Be very careful with the truss rod to, everyone says if you tweak it too much, it could snap. That would be very bad.

Still, I've only been playing a few months, and I was comfortable setting up my own stuff, after a few tries on my Squier. Here are a few links I took from a fellow TB'ers post in a different thread. Personally, after browsing the first site for a few minutes, it seemed really easy. It's very thorough, and laid out in easy to understand terms. If you end up doing a setup, just follow that site, and approach it with patience and care, and I don't think you should have any problems.

http://www.garywillis.com/pages/bas...etupmanual.html

http://www.mrgearhead.com/faq/basssetup.html

http://www.weedhopper.org/Bass_Guitar_Setup.asp

As for the string thing, that's just trying to encourage you to stay loyal to that brand. There are strings that could damage your frets, but it's not the brand name, it's the material the strings are made of. There are some great sticky threads and links in the setup and strings forum you should have a look at. Some of it is a little tough to take in, but you gotta learn sometime, sooner the better, right? As a quick answer though, it's steel strings that eat at your frets, so just stay with nickel and you shouldn't have a problem there.

3. shuvool

shuvool

Jul 9, 2004
    Saint Marys, GA
    Thanks, I appreciate it :)