Noob Questions: Music Man Neck on P Bass Body

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by The Ryantist, Aug 8, 2017.

1. Hello all,

I just ordered a 5 string Music Man Stingray neck on ebay and I want to "build" a P bass for it. I'm not a "luthier" compared to some of the other work I've seen on here so I want to keep things relatively simple. I have done many setups, pickup changes, and built a Warmoth guitar before that have turned out well.

I think the simplest approach here would be to get a 4 string P bass body and enlarge the neck pocket to fit the MM neck (since the 5 string Fender pocket is bigger than the MM). But up front I thought I'd ask:
    1. The neck already has mounting holes. I can get a Warmoth without holes. Any tips for how I can drill the holes in the neck pocket to line up with the existing neck holes?
    2. Will the neck-body transition be weird in the lower cutaway (circled in the attached figure)? I'll have to remove 1/8" from each side of the neck pocket.
    3. (edited to add) Will I have issues with router blowout in the same circled area of the figure? I've only used routers on 90 degree corners where I was able to support the end of the wood with another board. That'll be tough here. I was just reading in another thread that he cut the neck pocket before shaping the body.
    Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    For your first question, put some cut off screws or bolts into the holes so that they are only poking out about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, and then press it into the pocket to leave marks where you should be drilling through the neck pocket.

For the second. It might be noticeable from the back as the neck will overlap the edge of the pocket, but from the front you probably won't notice anything.

Post it up when you do it, sounds interesting... :)

3. Good catch, this hadn't occurred to me!

edit: You know --- this is kind of a deal breaker on me doing the 4 string thing. I might just make the whole body now. I'm kind of a perfectionist and I think this has the potential of being my #1 bass. It will be a lot more work but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end! Plus body blanks are cheap :)

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  4. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I encourage you making the body anyway, but why wouldn't you be thinking of adapting a 5 string body before jumping ship?

5. I haven't been able to find anything with the correct neck pocket width. Fender neck pocket widths are 2.5" (4 string) and 2.875" (5 string). EBMM is 2.75". My initial thought was that I didn't want to fill in a pocket that was too big. I thought it would be better to enlarge a pocket that was too small, but as Beej pointed out it won't match from the back either.

Do you know of a body I can get with a 2.75" pocket width? That would no doubt be easier, and if something was readily available I'd lean that way. But I do have access to all the tools necessary to build a body, and I think it would be lots of fun, so I'm not opposed to that.

6. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    I sure don't know of one... maybe some of the 'other' fender 5s ( I bought a pocket template that was a bit too small for the Warmoth / fender 5s of pre 2010 ) but I don't know. But hell build a body, I'm
    Starting the same journey with you.. body seems easy enough and tons of fun

bvdrummer likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021