Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

noob to bass needs help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by blindwscience, Oct 11, 2005.

1. blindwscience

blindwscience

Oct 11, 2005
    OK, i'm pretty much a total newbie to bass and guitars and stuff. I've been kinda learning how to play guitar on an acoustic, but I think bass guitar is what I really want to do. I've been reading around the forums a little, and I think I want a 5 string. I searched around on musician'sfriend.com, but I didn't really know what to look for. I really like the sound of Toast Machine (website and i want to kinda emulate that. So can you guys help me?

2. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Took a look at the site, he plays a Modulus with a single pickup. Here's a good shot.

[​IMG]

To cop that style of sound you'll want a bass with a wide humbucker in the middle position and a preamp or amp that you can boost the bass & treble. A Stingray perhaps? A Ken Smith would be similar.

3. blindwscience

blindwscience

Oct 11, 2005
    "To cop that style of sound you'll want a bass with a wide humbucker in the middle position and a preamp or amp that you can boost the bass & treble. A Stingray perhaps? A Ken Smith would be similar."

Is this what you are talking about? I was really looking for one that was around 400 dollars. Sorry, I really don't know the bass lingo yet. What does "humbucker in the middle position" mean?

EDIT:
    I looked around a little, and saw this. What does Jazz and P bass refer to? Will I get a pretty similar sound from any bass, or will i have to get a specific bass to sound a certain way (like a modulus, without spending $2000.)

EDIT again: How about this?

4. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    The stingray in your link would do it, also search for stingray SUB or OLP for a mid priced and cheapy version. And of course check the used gear section.

Humbucker in the middle position is basically a type and a location. For this tone I'd go towards a dual coil instead of split coil humbucker and middle position is just a compromise between neck & bridge position. Those terms are rather loose.

For a good slap tone I find many styles of basses will work but you need a good setup & action, good strings and a nice amp.

5. blindwscience

blindwscience

Oct 11, 2005
    so i'm basically going to have to spend a lot of money. well, since this is my first bass, I was only looking to spend around $400. I was looking atthis Yamaha. Also, are Fender and Squier's basses any good?

6. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I would go for that Yamaha before any cheap Fender. If you get an amp with a decent EQ you should also be able to get the sound you want. Squiers don't have the best rep.

Any bass in your range will do better if you learn to set your own action & bridge height & truss rod as few will come set up right and that can make a world of difference. Especially on a slapper.

7. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    I would defanatly stay away from Squiers, there kinda a luck of the draw. I have one that I got quite a few years back when I first got into bass and it was decent, had a fender reject body(wood grain on back was kinda funky lookin) and the neck was very good for a Squier. The electronics are horible in low end fenders and squiers also, so if you did get a good deal on one keep in mind that your going to have to atlest get some new pickups. The yamahas would defanatly been a good choice, they have a very good sound for the price(currently what I the poor collige student plays). So go out there and try a few at a local music shop and se what feels right to you:)

8. +1 (that means we agree with what was said before)

Yamaha - especially if you want to stick around the $400 range. You'll pay more for the MusicMan and lots more for the Modulus. Don't bother with a Squire - if you like playing, you'll tire of it; if you do, you won't be able to sell it for anything. Squires are for the kids that say, "Mommy, I saw this guy named Flea playing something called a bass...can I do that too?"

Take care of your fingers, though. That bloody mess will ruin any possible interest from the opposite sex....

9. blindwscience

blindwscience

Oct 11, 2005
    Alright, thanks for the help guys. I think i'll go for the Yamaha.

EDIT: action & bridge height & truss rod-wazzat?

EDIT AGAIN: for a beginner, would it be smarter to go for a 4 or 5 string?

10. Bull44

Bull44

Dec 13, 2004
    Maine
    Depends on what you plan on playing. Its much easyer to learn and keep on playing a 5 than switch from a 4 to a 5:) Go to a music shop and try a few of each, and se what feels right.