1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noob to effects....thoughts????

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ljzimmer, Oct 15, 2009.

1. ljzimmer

ljzimmer

Oct 24, 2007
    Hey Everybody,

I am a relatively new bass player (two years off and on). I recently picked up a line 6 x3 live. Is there a good way for me to tell if any of the effects or amp simulators I am using translate through the PA like they do in my in-ears? Any help would be extremely helpful. Keep in mind that most of my playing is at church direct into the PA (no cabs, thus the x3).

Thanks a ton,

Loren

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    On a strictly scientific level, you can be absolutely sure the sound from the PA is not identical to the sound through your in-ears. That's a plain obvious fact. Now, whether the PA tone "sounds good" is totally subjective, and will change depending on how many people are in the room. That's where it becomes important to have a competent person running the PA mixer. It is your responsibility to put out a "good tone", and a high-quality set of headphones or a clean monitor amp would be a reasonable gauge of that tone; it is not your responsibility to make that signal work in the PA mix. Unless of course there is nobody, or no competent person, at the mixer.