Noob trying to buy a Fender Precision Bass American Vintage Reissue 63

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cheche32, Jul 25, 2013.

1. cheche32

cheche32

Jun 25, 2013
    Mexico City
    Hi there once again I need your help. Im going to buy mi first Fender, its second hand, and its in a different city than mine, could you please look at the photos of the ad and tell me if its everything ok? For example, is it normal that the plate of the back dosent have the letter F??? By the way Im mexican and the ad is in spanish but it dosent say anything relevant. Thanks a lot

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx...-american-vintage-reissue-63-_JM#questionText

2. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    Looks legit to me. Correct type of serial number for a US Vintage Series bass. The lack of the 'F' logo on the neck plate is normal for this bass AFAIK.

3. tbear1776

tbear1776

Apr 8, 2013
    I agree, looks ok, but you might check the serial number with the Fender website. Good luck.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    from the pics, it looks more like a '62 reissue to me. (since the rosewood fingerboard isn't a veneer/radiused one)

5. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    I presume you're right John, but how do you tell from the photos available? Is it from the bit of rosewood that's on the headstock side of the nut?

Did they even reissue the '63 before 2013?

6. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. behind the nut it's curved on the veneered ones.

7. DanBass81

DanBass81

Mar 26, 2012
    Ireland
    Thanks, that's good to know.

8. The '63 comes with covers installed. Are their holes in the body? Also the sunburst doesn't look yellow enough, but that could just be the light.

-db

9. taurus1

taurus1

Sep 13, 2006
    Vancouver B.C.
    yeah there's no bridge cover holes, so probably no chance of it being a 63AVRI.
    also 63's haven't been out long enough to have that much wear on the back of the neck, unless that's fake relicing, more sketchiness.
    plus the extra holes in the body where they mounted the thumbrest is a shame.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021