1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Noob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PaulBoyer, Jan 27, 2012.

1. PaulBoyer

PaulBoyer Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 27, 2012
    Wisconsin
    Go easy on me now, this is my first post. Some of you here know me from the RRF, but I thought it was time I branch out a bit. I'm a 62-year-old retired magazine editor and writer, and I've been playing bass off and on (mostly off) since high school. My first bass was a Japanese copy of the Höfner Beatle bass, then I bought a used Rickenbacker 4001 -- my first REAL bass.

In a fit of nostalgia, I started to look for more information on Rick basses on the interwebs in 2002 and eventually signed on with the Rickenbacker Resource Forum folks where I've been for nearly eight years now. I found it interesting that there was a lot of great info there, but no reference book on Rick basses was available. With my writing and photographic background, I figured that I was well suited to fill that void and gather all the info and lots of photos into a book. Now, I'm almost done with it, and have just signed a contract with Hal Leonard/BackBeat Books. It will likely be another year before the book comes out and I won't be selling it; they will. If you'd like to see previews, you can check my website: websitePaul_ver3_counter

I'm happy to be here (finally)!:hyper:

2. TheSnowdon

TheSnowdon

Jan 23, 2012
    Looks nice, Paul! Rickenbackers are such good looking basses, I wish I had one, but they're so incredibly hard to get in Australia :/ welcome to TB! I'm a bit of a noob too but unlike most forums a majority of the people on here are very helpful.

3. Lookin' forward to a good read. Man!! There's 2 basses in this photo that really caught my eye,the Sea Green,and the Desert Gold Rics. Just wow......

websitePaul_ver3

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I convert 4 string Rickenbackers to 5 string basses.
    Show us some pics of your Rickenbackers.

And welcome to talkbass ...

If you ever want to sell your 4004 basses let me know. I may be interested.

5. xxx666

xxx666

Jan 12, 2008
    Australia
    Endorsing Artist G&L Guitars
    That looks like it will be a great read - let us know when its done and how I can get a copy to Australia!