1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noobie P bass pickup install Question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Carl E, Mar 6, 2008.

1. Carl E

Carl E

Feb 26, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey all, I am a noobie to bass, been playing guitar for 30 years. I have been lurking on the board for a while, and did a search on this question but didn't find it addressed. Perhaps it is so obvious, no one has asked!

I picked up a mint Squier P/J bass for next to nothing on Craigslist and of course started upgrading stuff. I have a new P pickup I want to install, but the directions do not indicate if it matters which of the two sections of pickup go where. In other words, is one meant for the E and A strings and the other for the D and G, or are they both the same? There do not appear to be any markings, but of course one has a black wire and the other a white wire coming off, with a red wire connecting the two. If someone can tell me if it matters, I would greatly appreciate it. I have replaced several sets of pickups in guitars, but they are only one section per pickup. Thanks.

2. As far as im aware, it doesnt matter.