1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noobie Question: Proper Thumb Position

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by basskopf, Oct 29, 2006.

1. Hi All,

I am a newbie to bass (my main instrument is piano). I am a little confused on proper thumb position of the left hand (I am a right hander, reference is to the fretting hand).

For example, is the thumb always at a 90 degree angle to the length of the fretboard? Another case: I find it physically impossible to keep the broad, flat part of my thumb pressed up again the middle of the neck (as I understand one is supposed to do) when I am playing high up, e.g. around the 12th fret on the E or A string.

Any inputs or good sources, e.g. video on line, would be most helpful.

If it makes a difference, my principal style interest is jazz, I am playing on a standard 4 string Fender MIM Jazz Bass.

Thanks in advance for any good inputs.

Tim
    :confused:

2. jesusplaysbass

jesusplaysbass

Apr 17, 2006
    if u cant keep ur thumb in place around the 12th fret, them im guessing ur wearing ur bass around ur crotch :D

3. PrimusNut

PrimusNut

Mar 23, 2006
    Nova Scotia
    I can keep my thumb in place around 12th and I wear my bass at my crotch, maybe a tad higher...

I have recently adjusted my fret hand thumb placement. I used to play with my thumb going along the length of the neck, but this was causing wrist problems for me, and just simply felt wrong. Now I play with my thumb pointing up, towards the sky, and sometimes it hooks over the top of the neck.

Do a search, you will get more threads than you can read about this topic.

And, for Christ sake, someone make a fret hand thumb position sticky, please.

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 18, 2021