1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Noobie to da Amp scene...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by J. Crawford, Oct 4, 2008.

1. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    I need some serious help. I have amazing basses, that I have bought myself, but have been playing through a Behringer Ultrabass 45w:scowl: for the last two years of my musical life. My dad enrolled me in a music program, where I am the only bassist, and the instructors said they may call me for their own gigs, because they say Im good for my age.

NOw, my question is, and I know there are many of these threads, but I need a new amp and dont know where to begin. I have 200 bucks, and my dad my lay down 200-250 more. I need something loud enough to get through the mix, and be heard at outdoor/small gigs.

I was thinking of the Acoustic products, I have heard a lot about them. Anyone recommend me something better, in the same price range?:confused:

2. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    is there going to be PA in your gigs??

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Im not sure. I dont have any positive gigs yet, Im just looking for a bigger set up. For personal use, and for the gigs.

4. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    The Acoustic stuff will be a good place to start. Personally, I'm going for the Acoustic 250 head (or maybe I'll wait for the 600...) and an Avatar (www.avatarspeakers.com) 2x10. That'll get you heard in most non-PA situations. And the best part is that you'll sound good :)

5. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    That sounds awesome, but what would that run me cash wise?

6. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Pick up something with 4 10" in it, its a versatile cabinet and can grow with you. My small rig has an AMPEG SVT-410HLF cabinet, its a ported cab and has a big bottom and a small horn in it, in my instance I leave the thing off. But any good head that can power 4 OHMs can drive it. With an SVT-4PRO plugged into it I can invert the cones. The problem is you have money issues as a used 410HLF will cost you $500 itself. The Cab is the more important item I feel, a head you can beg borrow and steel. BOB

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    Welcome!
    Bring money.
    $500 isn't going to go far.
    Look for a used 410 bottom , see what you have left and start looking for a used head.

8. LesS

LesS

Mar 3, 2006
    no longer a member
    here are some more speaker choices:
    Avatar B212 neo $359 + $48 shipping
    Avatar B210 neo $289 + $29 shipping

You could probably use your Behringer as an amp head until you get another bass head.
    The Behringer BXL450 is 45 watts at 4 ohms, and would sound great especially with a cabinet like a 2x12, but it is not loud enough for gigs, if the band plays loud at all. You would need to install a 1/4 inch jack in back, the switching kind so it would disconnect the internal speaker when you plugged in an external cabinet.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    As always, Peavey is great bang for the buck. You can find their heads and cabs fairly cheap, they are rugged as hell, and you get a good, workable tone.

Also, the used Trace Elliot market is another to look at. You can pick up a 200-300 watt Trace head for as little $200 sometimes. Their cabs can be had at reasonable prices as well since most people are going to the lighter neo equipped cabs. Yeah, Trace cabs are heavy but they are great cabs.

Good luck!

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good suggestions so far. I would recommend buying used, get at least 200w, maybe a nice 210 or 115 combo. GK, Hartke, Nemesis, Fender, Peavey, Trace, even Acoustic. But definitely buy used. There are great deals on good inexpensive combos on here from reliable sellers.

As much as I love Ampeg, though, I don't think I'd get a 410HLF to start out with. It's a speaker cab with a huge bottom end, and many consider it overwhelming. You don't need that. You just need a good solid amp with tone and decent wattage.

11. Snag MarkBass Little Mark II and then look for used a SWR Goliath II - you will have over spent by about $200 - but you will be set for quite a while and can add another cab as $$ allows.

12. From a fellow guy on a budget, let me suggest something that I use myself...the GK Backline 600. The backline series cabs can leave some to be desired, but the 600 head is dang near bulletproof. Buy a used one (typically $199 or less) and use the rest for a decent cab. The GK Goldline 4x10's isn't bad, but I'd actually suggest the Acoustic 4x10's over that, and I think they might be cheaper too.

The backline has good wattage and gets loud without sounding like crap (as long as you use decent cabs). I had a Traynor YBA200 all-tube bass head, and while it sounded great...my GK beat it out over time lol.

So yeah, my suggestion: Used GK Backline 600 and an Acoustic 4x10's or something nicer if you can afford it. I'd steer clear of just a 2x10's or just a 1x15 unless its a VERY nice one, because on your budget they just won't cut it =/

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You can find good deals on used 210"s and 115"s that will cut it, though. And while I'm inclined to agree with you on the 210"s, I don't on the 115"s. I've heard a few nice budget 115"s in combo amps. Seems to be more leeway with 115"s because of the bigger volume cabs than 210"s.